Eurosport Player is closing down.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
TrevA

Eurosport Player is closing down.

Post by TrevA »

Just logged on to Eurosport Player on my iPad and received a message that the service will be closing in mid January. The content will still be available but users will now have to subscribe to Discovery Plus. There’s a small cost increase but you do get access to the Discovery Entertainment package, in addition to the Sport. I currently pay £4.49 a month for Eurosport, Discovery Plus is £6.99 a month or you can get an annual pass for £59.99 (which equates to £4.99 a month).

If you get Eurosport via your TV, then the service will be unaffected.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
audaxjk

Re: Eurosport Player is closing down.

Post by audaxjk »

A GCN subscription I think gives you access to all the bike racing that is/was on Eurosport and is a bit cheaper at £40 a year,. The Eurosport annual pass was often discounted to £20/year on black friday but neither GCN nor Discovery had any offers this year.
Seagoon

Post by Seagoon »

You need to delete the Eurosport Player app and then go to the App Store and install the Eurosport App ( not Eurosport Player ) and login as per normal.
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

audaxjk wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 8:15pm The Eurosport annual pass was often discounted to £20/year on black friday but neither GCN nor Discovery had any offers this year.
Those were the days eh???

I went down the Discovery+ route this year EXCLUSIVELY for the sport, I didn't watch one single Discovery programme so (for me) I thought that it was poor value. I dumped the whole thing after the World Superbike season ended.

When I cancelled my subscription my opinion was canvassed re why I had cancelled? I indicated that I would be happy to re-subscribe if they could split the sport from the Discovery stuff - you can have Discovery without the sport but not visa-versa (or at least you couldn't when I cancelled)

We'll see.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Seagoon wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 8:45pm You need to delete the Eurosport Player app and then go to the App Store and install the Eurosport App ( not Eurosport Player ) and login as per normal.
Done that for my iPad, but will it work for Apple TV? Their FAQs suggest not.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Does anyone use GCN+?

Since Eurosport Player is ending and I only ever watch cycling on Eurosport, is it worth considering? Is the extra documentary content worth watching?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Yes and it’s coverage of cycling, without adverts, throughout the year is excellent. I don’t begrudge a penny of what I pay.
Love watching the cross through the winter. I do watch some of the documentary stuff but certainly not all interests me.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
RickH

Post by RickH »

Yes I've got GCN+.

Their Grand Tour stuff is good. Whilst I personally prefer the ITV commentary team when they are in action, there is a much better variety of highlights (5minute, 20 minute, last few km) if you want to keep up & are short of time on a particular day. Sometimes I'll watch the pre- & post-stage stuff on GCN+ with the ITV highlights on catch up (or recorded) in between. I increasingly like the Cyclocross over the winter.

The documentary stuff is quite varied - I like the Jack Thurston "Lost Lanes" episodes, taking someone out for a 2 day excursion on the sort of routes that feature in his books. But there's a lot of other different cycling related stuff too.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
PM999

Post by PM999 »

If of interest, Sky have just dropped the additional subscription for Discovery + (I think it was £6.99/month to include sports) for anyone with a regular Sky package. Not quite as comprehensive as GCN + for cycle sport coverage, but close.
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

one other wrinkle on this...
If you are an existing eurosport subscriber, you can continue to watch content on eurosport.co.uk - this includes the live and recorded channels/events.
This would suit me just fine, except that the browser on my LG tv will not allow me to watch the live channel feeds - it works just fine for all the recorded stuff. On my PC and tablet the live channels work just fine.
Very annoying. Not sure if this is just a defect in the browser/website or a deliberate policy of eurosport so that you can't watch it on a full sized tv.
I can mirror from my tablet to the tv, but I'm not convinced that the picture quality is as good. If I could get hold of a chromecast or firestick I might try that.
Sadly, I might eventually have to cough up the 59.99 for D+ (eurosport is/was 39.99).
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

Does anyone use GCN+?
I do.

Worth it for the Jack Thurston Lost Lanes episodes alone for me.

The race highlights aren't as good as ITV4 though being just repeated chunks of the race as far as I can see. Better than nothing of course.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

In the end, I went with Discovery+ as there are some documentaries on there that my wife is interested in. It’s the same coverage that I used to get on Eurosport Player, I’m paying slightly more - £6.99 v £4.99 a month, but the great coverage of races (and lack of adverts) and the ability to watch on catch up without having to record stuff certainly makes it worthwhile. Cyclocross on nearly everyday over the Christmas and New Year period.
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

Discovery+ and sport now free with BT Sport - I have BT Sport anyway for MotoGP/European footy so it's a nice little add on.

HOWEVER, it's not working on the BT 'YouView' box yet and I can't get it to run on this MacBook or my iPhone.

Otherwise it's great... :mrgreen:
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Tiberius wrote: 18 Jan 2023, 9:00am Discovery+ and sport now free with BT Sport - I have BT Sport anyway for MotoGP/European footy so it's a nice little add on.

HOWEVER, it's not working on the BT 'YouView' box yet and I can't get it to run on this MacBook or my iPhone.

Otherwise it's great... :mrgreen:
BT Sport was taken in to Warner Bros Discovery Media as BT no longer needed a loss leader to promote broadband.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Discovery+ and sport now free with BT Sport - I have BT Sport anyway for MotoGP/European footy so it's a nice little add on.

Otherwise it's great...
discovery+ is available in the UK on Apple TV.

Jonathan