Croatia to join Schengen - Jan 1st

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
st599_uk

Croatia to join Schengen - Jan 1st

Post by st599_uk »

https://www.euronews.com/travel/2022/12 ... ne-in-2023

Croatia to join Schengen on Jan 1st.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
simonineaston

Re: Croatia to join Schengen - Jan 1st

Post by simonineaston »

Their reward for being good at footie - every dog has its day... for example England got to the final in 1966 and enjoyed as a consequence, a period of excellent trade advantages, sadly now over.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
RobinS

Post by RobinS »

That's unfortunate (for us not them!), means yet another country within the common maximum 90 days zone.
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

RobinS wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 10:12am That's unfortunate (for us not them!), means yet another country within the common maximum 90 days zone.
Yep. Every country that joins means another 90 day exclusion zone!
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Bulgaria and Romania missed out by 1 and 2 votes, so once they've satisfied what is believed to be missing, they'll join too.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Yep, I’m hoping that at some point schengen introduce a six month tourist visa that can be applied for (like the USA) as it is getting very restrictive for visitors or (my preference) that we rejoin the single market. Stuff like EV6 is comfortably doable for most people in 90 days but the really big ones run north to south and eg ev7 would be too long for me to do in 90 days.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

MrsHJ wrote: 11 Dec 2022, 4:55am Yep, I’m hoping that at some point schengen introduce a six month tourist visa that can be applied for (like the USA) as it is getting very restrictive for visitors or (my preference) that we rejoin the single market. Stuff like EV6 is comfortably doable for most people in 90 days but the really big ones run north to south and eg ev7 would be too long for me to do in 90 days.
Last thing the Royal Yachting Association said on the matter was that the UK weren't willing to reciprocate on visa free 6 month access.
A novice learning...
mxg01

Post by mxg01 »

From November 2023 things are changing in terms of entering the Schengen zone. You still have 90 out of 180 days, but it's a new digital system.

https://www.etias.info/

Hopefully a better system than border personnel trying to count days between entry and exit stamps located on different pages in your passport then add them up. Cost seems to be €7 for three years.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Not quite mxg. You are getting your EU alpha-spaghetti mixed up.

ETIAS (European Travel Information and Authorization System) is the authorisation for people not requiring a visa. Basically you apply online pay €7 and it issues permission to enter (visa free). Valid 3 years or life of passport if less.

EES (Entry and Exit System) is the one that counts us in and out.

"It is a completely electronic system that allows and keeps track of visitors from countries who do not need a visa to enter the Schengen Zone."

I think this is it. Can't remember implementation dates as they have changed so many times.
mxg01

Post by mxg01 »

Thanks Simon, I see what you mean.

I think UK passport holders will need an ETIAS from November next year. This site - https://etias.com/etias-requirements/et ... h-citizens - suggests it's required.

EES comes in to force in May next year, and will record people entering and leaving the Schengen zone. This system replaces the passport stamps.
robing

Post by robing »

Another Brexit benefit :( A longer European tour is now scuppered as Croatia offered a place to go to reset your 90 days. I'm sure Bulgaria and Romania will follow suit and also become part of Schengen.
Some sort of pragmatism needed here - would there be a simple way of getting a 6 month tourist Schengen visa? Even if it cost a bit, would make life so much better for a cycle tourist.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Apparently parts of Spain are trying to get an extension to the 90 days for long stay winter tourists. This could happen as it has economic clout. Also they can easily define the long stay holiday maker - only one country allowed, accommodation, etc., but this wouldn't be any good for touring cyclists.

If 'easy' six month visas were granted to Brits, they probably would have to be granted to everyone in the Visa free category. We may have had special treatment when the UK was a member of the EU*, but now we are just another 3rd country. Reciprocity would rear it's ugly head.

* Yes I know we didn't need it as we were given free access to Schengen even though not a participant.

Edited to make it clearer.
robing

Post by robing »

It's what 'we' voted for. We've ended up with the hardest Brexit despite all the promises. Maybe there was no such thing as a soft Brexit.