Your help needed to find the rogue trader that tricked me.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
thirdcrank

Re: Your help needed to find the rogue trader that tricked me.

Post by thirdcrank »

irc wrote: 6 Dec 2022, 9:42am Never give work to cold callers. If they were honest and any good they wouldn't need to go round doors to get work

For OP if charges were excessive for poor quality work try contacting local trading standards.
Hole in one!

Unfortunately, the help and advice available for the general public from trading standards was severely cut by the coalition government in 2010 and never reinstated.
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

Know it hurts but thanks for posting. The person who wrote never pay cash even if reduced if you do not know them is good advice.Which I intend to follow.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Four things I look out for are

1 cold call
2 time limited offer
3 appealing to my greed
4 trying to induce or heighten fear

I know for sure to walk away if two of these conditions are met.
I am here. Where are you?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

When the job increases I get sceptical and verify. I have a mistrust of tyre and exhaust centres (having once been ripped-off by a main dealer but for an MOT test to they were in too strong a position).

Couple of days ago I needed a new exhaust so went to local exhaust centre and suddenly I also needed between 1 and 3 new tyres (splits in the rubber claimed)! So I had them take me through into the workshop where the car was on the lift and ... in this instance there were some nasty splits in the tyres they were saying should be replaced, one really bad and front, two (rear) even I though bad and had I spotted such splits at home I'd have been taking the car in straight away for new tyres. The rear ones they said should probably be replaced they were not doing "totally unsafe ..." stories.

Ian
Jules59

Post by Jules59 »

An old chap near me (whom I know as he repaired my wife's sewing machine - his hobby) had some branches cut down but they left loads of small ones and he needed them clearing from his drive. Some scoundrel wanted £90 to take them away !! Hoping the old man would just hand over the cash.
The misses and I did it for nowt as we were passing on the way to the local tip - 5 mins away.
horizon

Post by horizon »

My own approach to this is as follows and it might not help:

1. Accept that life deals out some unpleasant blows from time to time.
2. Budget for one distress payment/fraud/mistake/new engine/missed flight per year.
3. Put the money in a savings account or premium bonds.
4. Enjoy life and be happy, pleased and content.
5. Roll the money over if not required but take out a small amount for a good meal out.
6. Pay out If it is required but still retain an amount to cover the cost of a good meal out.
7. Repeat #4 above.
8. Luxuriate in the knowledge that you have won, your foresight has beaten them or it.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

horizon wrote: 9 Dec 2022, 11:16am My own approach to this is as follows and it might not help:

1. Accept that life deals out some unpleasant blows from time to time.
2. Budget for one distress payment/fraud/mistake/new engine/missed flight per year.
3. Put the money in a savings account or premium bonds.
4. Enjoy life and be happy, pleased and content.
5. Roll the money over if not required but take out a small amount for a good meal out.
6. Pay out If it is required but still retain an amount to cover the cost of a good meal out.
7. Repeat #4 above.
8. Luxuriate in the knowledge that you have won, your foresight has beaten them or it.
Spend the money on drink -- then all the above makes perfect sense. :lol:
I am here. Where are you?
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

francovendee wrote: 6 Dec 2022, 9:14am I'm sorry to say I doubt you'll get anywhere with this.
Years ago I had a knock on the door and a chap asked did I want the garden tarmacked? I needed extra parking so asked them to do it and extend it over a flower bed. I paid what they asked but as spring came round all sorts of vegetation was pushing through the tarmac.
I never managed to contact him and suspect he was a traveller knocking on doors and finding mugs like me.
Did he just happen to have a couple of yards left over from a large road repair?
It's a favourite scam.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm not a rogue trader, but I had an experience this morning of how easy it might be.

A former colleague's funeral is to be held in Drighlington at a church which is on an A road with poor parking provision.

By chance, an elderly couple (around a decade older than us) who have been our good friends since we moved here in 1975 live just over the road from the church and their house has a driveway. I thought it would be good if I could use their drive during the funeral. My fear was that if I rang, they would immediately assume that mrs thirdcrank was poorly or worse. They only have a landline. mrs thirdcrank couldn't get through to their phone. Eventually I rang and sorted my parking out but towards the end of our conversation, it became clear that our friend did not know who he was talking to. That was deafness, not some form of dementia. Once we'd cleared up the misunderstanding, we had a laugh.
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

ANTONISH wrote: 9 Dec 2022, 6:50pm Did he just happen to have a couple of yards left over from a large road repair?
It's a favourite scam.
I temped for a well-known crisp manufacturer some years ago, just after they'd fallen for a version of that trick. They had a nice, shiny car park and a disproportionate bill. Being a large company they already had guards on the gate (and presumably legal advice) so their response was to tighten the security and refuse to pay any more than the original quote.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Best I can advise - you remember what his vehicle looked like.See if you can spot it around and about and get more details from its signwriting - better still, a photo including the no. plate. These details may include a phone no. website, email address, even (if you are lucky!) and address, all of which you can pass on to trading standards/rip-off bBritain/Watchdog/your local paper. ... If he's cruising around touting for business he may be still doing so in your area.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
DictateChris

Post by DictateChris »

Hello Alan

I have had the exact same experience from this scumbag, I came across him and his crony in the following week working in the local area, I was able to follow them and take pictures of their Transit van, getting the mobile number and registration of the vehicle.

I also have an idea of his physical address based on other information I have found on the internet.

Are you still looking to pursue some kind of compensation or legal action? I would be more then happy to assist and work with you on this matter.

Thanks

Chris
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

I need eyes and ears on the ground to find and identify the rogue doorstep trader

Good you posted so easy to get done.Keep these scams coming so we can all be aware.

PS beware of second hand bikes on certain sites from private addresses..They go cheap and in volume.They may also be stolen.Always ask for original receipt. CTC forum "bikes for sale" is OK coz you know the people posting from their posts.
I ride Brompton,Hetchins 531.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

In the case of a doorstep trader who doesnt give you an address and a lot of other stuff listed below you dont have to pay anything and you wont have committed a crime. Read this -

https://www.gov.uk/doorstep-selling-regulations

If you get scammed with the ever increading price just point out these regs and refuse to pay what they are asking until they come up with a correct price.

Gypsies are often known to work this scam so be prepared for threats etc Stand your ground.

My advice - dont employ anyone without a written quote with their address and the other information.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

al_yrpal wrote: 17 Jan 2024, 2:07pm In the case of a doorstep trader who doesnt give you an address and a lot of other stuff listed below you dont have to pay anything and you wont have committed a crime. Read this -

https://www.gov.uk/doorstep-selling-regulations

If you get scammed with the ever increading price just point out these regs and refuse to pay what they are asking until they come up with a correct price.

Gypsies are often known to work this scam so be prepared for threats etc Stand your ground.

My advice - dont employ anyone without a written quote with their address and the other information.

Al
I additionally do similar with online purchases - if there isn't a phone number I wont purchase from them. Too easy for e-mails to just be ignored. Sometimes for a online company I haven't purchased from before, I'll just phone the number with some "question" to check it really does exist and is answered and is a proper outlet (easy to concoct some valid question eg confirm in-stock or what shipping carrier do you use .....).

Ian