Low stack seat-post?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
UpWrong

Low stack seat-post?

Post by UpWrong »

I'm looking to lower a seat as much as possible on an eBike in the hope the Mrs can ride it. Was wondering if there are any low stack seat-posts which lower a saddle by providing lower saddle rail holders. Any suggestions or ideas? I may need to cut the seat tube if not.
Barrowman

Re: Low stack seat-post?

Post by Barrowman »

What is seat tube diameter? My wife's bike is 27.2mm (Reynolds 531) and we have an SR Seatpin which is a cradle style but puts the saddle rails alongside the top of the pin rather than on top like most Cradle Seatpins (SR do do 'conventional' cradle pins too)
Barrowman

Post by Barrowman »

What is seat tube diameter? My wife's bike is 27.2mm (Reynolds 531) and we have an SR Seatpin which is a cradle style but puts the saddle rails alongside the top of the pin rather than on top like most Cradle Seatpins (SR do do 'conventional' cradle pins too) so have a hunt around. You will need to know your seatpin diameter and there are many different ones , don't make the mistake of thinking they are universal because they are not !.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Fit one of these upside down
25446.jpg
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

tatanab wrote: 7 Dec 2022, 12:37pm Fit one of these upside down 25446.jpg
+1 And back to front, to reduce the reach if necessary. Long ago, I learned how to ride a bike on one with a frame much too big, with the saddle fitted like that. I fancy the main point here is that there's no way to get the saddle lower without alterations to the bike itself. I see SJSC have them in stock at £2-99 but I imagine a traditional LBS might have a drawer ful

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/seat-posts/ ... dle-clamp/
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Thanks for the suggestions. I think the seat-post diameter is 30.9mm, so I'd need to find a suitable seat-pin and seat-clamp. Cheers.
KM2

Post by KM2 »

Is this the type, SR but I believe a 60’s simplex design???
4B3A7DDE-31D0-42B1-B5DB-18EE00923EB5.jpeg
backnotes

Post by backnotes »

UpWrong wrote: 7 Dec 2022, 2:11pm I think the seat-post diameter is 30.9mm, so I'd need to find a suitable seat-pin and seat-clamp. Cheers.
Plain seat pins of different diameters typically narrow to a standard diameter (22.2mm?) at the top that fits any standard seat clamp like the SJS / Brooks ones suggested upthread. Plain seat pins seem to be easier to find in smaller diameters than 30.9mm. An option would be a £3.99 shim like this https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/SPPXSH/jo ... tpost-shim, one version of which reduces from 30.9mm (if that's the diameter you have) to an easier to source 27.2 mm.
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

KM2 wrote: 9 Dec 2022, 3:39pm Is this the type, SR but I believe a 60’s simplex design???4B3A7DDE-31D0-42B1-B5DB-18EE00923EB5.jpeg
That's the lowest seat stack I've seen, there's an odd one on eBay now and again but they're mostly sized for French frames
KM2

Post by KM2 »

It’s a 27.2 m SR. A Simplex “L Juy” copy.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

A quick update. I bought a 30.8mm Ergotec seat pin and Passport saddle clamp from SJS. The next size up was 31.0mm. With some fiddling I was able to fit the clamp upside down to a Charge Spoon saddle which is pretty low profile - just! You need enough of a gap between the rails and the saddle to assemble the clamp in situ. It wouldn't fit an SDG Bel Air. The end result is a success, the saddle is low enough for the Mrs to reach the ground comfortably. I also reversed the clamp to bring the saddle forward. Need to wait for some dry weather and non-icy roads before she can try it out. I can quickly swap the seatposts over when I want to ride the bike with my sprung saddle.