How's your weather?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Dingdong

Re: How's your weather?

Post by Dingdong »

Mike Sales wrote: 15 Nov 2022, 10:51am As I walked to the newsagent's this morning, wearing a heavy waterproof, I began remembering my outings in hard weather. These days are naturally the really memorable ones, and there is a certain fierce joy in battling the elements. I never felt so alive. I could bore you all with stories of hard days on the road, in the hills or at sea. The wind, rain or snow storms that my foolishness has led me into are vivid in my memory.
The memories of a man in his old age,
Are the deeds of a man in his prime.
Roger Waters.
I remember one specific end of November, I was probably about 17. I'd seen the rain come battering down all morning, and I knew that in the dip, between the chemical works and the coal bing (it was a lovely part of the country), it would always flood, at least 2 or three feet deep. So I got my best pal round and we cycled down the hill to the appointed place and low and behold, a veritable lake about 100ft across. What to do next?

Being a good pal, of course I let him go across first (under leaden skies, deep thunder and lightning strikes all around), he got about halfway and suddenly stopped dead, and toppled over into the flood. Not to be undone, I rode back up the hill and approached about 35mph, only to watch my bottom bracket and then my feet disappear into the murky brown. I got about twenty feet further and toppled into the slush myself. Both went home with huge grins on our faces. A moment shared, never to be forgotten.

Happy days!
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Oh, it's dry today and the sun's shining and there's not going to be any rain, with little or no wind (Met Office)

Of course it's raining heavily, with an 1-2" of water washing across the pavements, gutters overflowing. There's no sun, or blue sky, it's heavily overcast. Though to be fair, the Met Office have just about got it right, as there's little wind. They are getting better at forecasting the weather :roll: I suppose in August next year, when they forecast it's going to be warmer, they may be right :shock:
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

Been horrible and wet/damp for the past few days :roll:
It is set to brighten up by the weekend though :)
Last edited by PedallingSquares on 22 Nov 2022, 3:18pm, edited 1 time in total.
peetee

Post by peetee »

PedallingSquares wrote: 22 Nov 2022, 1:17pm Been horrible and wet/damp for the past few days :roll:
It is set to Brighten up by the weekend though :)
In the far south-west it’s been horrible/wet/damp for 6 weeks now with only the occasional let-up for a few hours. I can’t remember a single day in that time that hasn’t brought at least one bout of heavy rain interspersed with hours of drizzle.
Despite this the local reservoir is still a very long way from being full.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cold with dusting of snow this morining,thankfully the fog lifted yesterday,the forecast is is for much of the same for the next couple of days.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

Out of the front bedroom window here on the South Wales coast I can see what looks like snow across the channel on the top of Exmoor, but here (admittedly at lower altitude) we have just had a few birief rain showers. The sun has now come out. It is chilly but not freezing, so a good long dog walk is imminent. I must check the tide times. We may include the beach in the walk.
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

Sleat is trickling down the windows here in North Wales. I am glad I didn't go on the Ramblers' walk this morning.
RickH

Post by RickH »

reohn2 wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 9:35am Cold with dusting of snow this morining,thankfully the fog lifted yesterday,the forecast is is for much of the same for the next couple of days.
We've got about 10cm of fresh snow up here on the flanks of Winter Hill. Less than half that down at the bottom I Horwich. Quite murky though.

4wd & winter tyres got us up the hill in the car. Stopped on the flatter bit to let a guy on a mountain bike pass :D
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

RickH wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 10:26am
reohn2 wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 9:35am Cold with dusting of snow this morining,thankfully the fog lifted yesterday,the forecast is is for much of the same for the next couple of days.
We've got about 10cm of fresh snow up here on the flanks of Winter Hill. Less than half that down at the bottom I Horwich. Quite murky though.

4wd & winter tyres got us up the hill in the car. Stopped on the flatter bit to let a guy on a mountain bike pass :D
Wow,that's quite a bit more than down here on the flatlands,it's always a couple of degrees colder up your end even in summer so I'm assuming more fell as rain down here than on the high ground where you live.
It's still a bit nippie though Brrr....
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
rjb

Post by rjb »

We got as far as our front gate. The roads are sheet ice as we had an early morning shower. Decided it wasn't safe to walk up to the centre of the village for coffee. Watched our neighbour who had ventured out for her newspaper. She was leaning for support on every convenient fence or car as she gingerly shuffled along.

I need some of those strap on studded shoe sole thingies. :(
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

A very hard frost here in Gildersome. Horror of horrors, mrs thirdcrank's Radio Times has been held up in the post although she's already received the edition for the week commencing 17 December. In any case, early deadlines and the unpredictability of the football mean that the RT isn't a reliable source of programme info just now.

Cold weather and angina don't go well together so I wrapped up warm including fur-lined boots, quilted parka and heavy gloves. On my way to the newsagent's, I bumped into a neighbour walking his dog. From the depths of my quilted hood, trimmed with responsibly-sourced coyote fur, I vaguely heard some comment about shopping and ski Sunday. I assumed it must be something like Black Friday

Having checked online, I see it was a witty comment about a winter-sports programme. Lost on me because I don't bother with the telly. If I remember, I'll have to think up something droll about One man and his dog. (And before anybody asks, I do a certain amount of passive viewing of stuff mrs thirdcrank enjoys.)

And the bright sunshine has given way to freezing fog
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

thirdcrank wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 11:35am Horror of horrors, mrs thirdcrank's Radio Times has been held up in the post although she's already received the edition for the week commencing 17 December. In any case, early deadlines and the unpredictability of the football mean that the RT isn't a reliable source of programme info just now.
Nothing to do with the current weather but I use Freeview website for TV listings. May help your better half.:-
https://www.freeview.co.uk/tv-guide?userNid=64257

Current midday temperature on the Fylde coast a balmy 4 Deg' C. All frost gone, rained overnight with a touch of sleet at dawn.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

cycleruk wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 11:47am
thirdcrank wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 11:35am Horror of horrors, mrs thirdcrank's Radio Times has been held up in the post although she's already received the edition for the week commencing 17 December. In any case, early deadlines and the unpredictability of the football mean that the RT isn't a reliable source of programme info just now.
Nothing to do with the current weather but I use Freeview website for TV listings. May help your better half.:-
https://www.freeview.co.uk/tv-guide?userNid=64257

Current midday temperature on the Fylde coast a balmy 4 Deg' C. All frost gone, rained overnight with a touch of sleet at dawn.
Thanks for that. We have a Freeview telly wired through a two-channel Freeview hard drive recorder so we have no shortage of information about the hundreds of channels of dross available with the facility to watch one as it's transmitted while recording two more simultaneously. We have a similar set up in one of the bedrooms (single channel recorder only) which I very occasionally use if desperate and a couple of freestanding Freeview tellies besides.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Light dusting of snow here in Taunton outskirts this morning, a bit more over in Honiton. Given up misering on the heating after accurately predicting annual heating costs and deciding we can afford it.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It's just started snowing here: big flakes floating straight down, but the sky hasn't the leaden look which accompanies a big fall.