best way to get oil and crud out of a carpet?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
TheJollyJimLad

best way to get oil and crud out of a carpet?

Post by TheJollyJimLad »

I live in a flat with nowhere outside to keep a bike. Instead, my beloved steed resides in my living room which the soon to be Mrs TheJollyJimLad tolerates because I use it to commute and get around town.

The problem is that sometimes bits of mud combined with lube get into the carpet in the hallway and bedroom where I put down a pannier.

My question is, what's the best way to get oil and crud out of a carpet? Please help!
emergency_pants

Post by emergency_pants »

I reckon you could probably use a carpet shampoo on it.

Something like rubbing alcohol will get it out - but don't rub it, dab it off with absorbent cloth/paper. Rubbing will probably just spread it around. If it were me, I'd probably try it out on a hidden piece of carpet first, before going at it.
leftpoole

Re: Oil

Post by leftpoole »

TheJollyJimLad wrote:I live in a flat with nowhere outside to keep a bike. Instead, my beloved steed resides in my living room which the soon to be Mrs TheJollyJimLad tolerates because I use it to commute and get around town.

The problem is that sometimes bits of mud combined with lube get into the carpet in the hallway and bedroom where I put down a pannier.

My question is, what's the best way to get oil and crud out of a carpet? Please help!

Best to remove the carpet. It avoids confrontation!
Maybe not-I have carpet in my bike workshop-?
John.
Last edited by leftpoole on 24 Feb 2009, 4:04pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hemipode

Post by Hemipode »

Washing-up liquid works really well.
The only problem is you get an ultra-clean patch where you used it :shock:
TheJollyJimLad

Post by TheJollyJimLad »

Some interesting answers so far. Thanks!

John - We live in a rented flat otherwise I would gladly rip up all the carpets! Soon to be Mrs JollyJimLad & I want to rent a larger place soon that has a scrap of garden and a shed so I can properly store, clean and give my bike the maintenance it rightly deserves. And fill it with more bikes! We would be moving out in April so I definately have to get the carpets clean by then.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

You could always try Swarfega. I've not tried it myself though, so don't blame me!
GeoffA

Post by GeoffA »

Try a combo. Get the oil off with washing up liquid the clean the whole carpet with a carpet shampooer. You can rent them from Homebase/B&Q or even Tescos and they get an amazing amount of dirt up. In fact it's quite disgusting how much dirt there is in a seemingly clean carpet.
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

When I had my flat I used eco-friendly citrus degreaser (Pedros I think). Doesn't harm the carpet, gets the grease out without any residue, and smells of juicy oranges. Everyone's a winner :)
Si

Post by Si »

CILLIT BANG! BANG AND THE DIRT IS GONE

However, be prepared to do the rest of the carpet when you suddenly find you are left with one really clean patch! And don't use it too often otherwise you'll be through the foundations!! And don't get it on your hands otherwise it'll be like a scene from Alien!!! Actually, probably better to try one of the other options first !!!!
paulah

Post by paulah »

depending where the stain is you could offer to get a decent rug to cover it up
MarkC

Post by MarkC »

I usually suffer from oily chainring marks on my top stair as I carry my bike up and downstairs. Stain Slayer, an aerosol made by a company called JCB Developments has saved my life on several occasions. It's biodegradable too. I think I got it from the supermarket many years ago.
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

How about three or four cheap carpet tiles and leave your bike on them when you need to clean them pick them up and take them outside. they are mostly bitumen based and stay flat and will stand scrubbing with soap and water.
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
bodach

Post by bodach »

WD 40 to start with will take a lot of oil out then hand cleaner. The smell of WD40 upsets my mrs but it soon fades.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

I would go with the WD40/Swarfega options and it will then probably need an all over shampoo after that.

Tip; When I was in the Nurses' home I stood my bike on a plastic sheet with an old sheet/newspaper pages on top of the plastic. the cloth/paper absorbed any moisture dripping off the bike and the plastic sheet protected the carpet.

Good luck, but I would excpect to loose some/all of your deposit for carpet cleaning, when you move out.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Jeckyll_n_Snyde

Post by Jeckyll_n_Snyde »

I'm with Paulah on the rug option; and when it becomes an eyesore i just bin it and get a fresh one....cheap offcuts at local carpet supplier cost peanuts.
MALE by the evolutionary process of natural selection
Heterosexual by choice
Atheist by the grace of G** :wink: :wink: :wink: