Lejog with a tandem

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
CampagKid

Lejog with a tandem

Post by CampagKid »

We're thinking of Lejog next year, taking at least 12 days but wonder about the practical aspects of taking a tandem. It's a relatively cheap affair, but it's well maintained and done several centuries without any problems. We'll be unsupported, and staying in b+b accomodation all the way. No camping :lol:
roubaixtuesday

Re: Lejog with a tandem

Post by roubaixtuesday »

CampagKid wrote: 23 Dec 2022, 7:35am We're thinking of Lejog next year, taking at least 12 days but wonder about the practical aspects of taking a tandem. It's a relatively cheap affair, but it's well maintained and done several centuries without any problems. We'll be unsupported, and staying in b+b accomodation all the way. No camping :lol:
What aspects are you worried about?

Would have thought the only tandem specific issue is getting to start/ finish?
CampagKid

Post by CampagKid »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 23 Dec 2022, 7:58am
CampagKid wrote: 23 Dec 2022, 7:35am We're thinking of Lejog next year, taking at least 12 days but wonder about the practical aspects of taking a tandem. It's a relatively cheap affair, but it's well maintained and done several centuries without any problems. We'll be unsupported, and staying in b+b accomodation all the way. No camping :lol:

Traffic, secure accomodation for the bike, and probably would prefer the least hilly route,as laden, with bags and no kit, it's coming in at 27kg...
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

CampagKid wrote: 23 Dec 2022, 8:14am
roubaixtuesday wrote: 23 Dec 2022, 7:58am

Traffic, secure accomodation for the bike, and probably would prefer the least hilly route,as laden, with bags and no kit, it's coming in at 27kg...
We've not done a lot of touring on the tandem, but I've never worried about security. It's hard enough to take away ourselves! Just any lock to prevent a joyrider having a go.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

The main issue is going to be getting it to LE and from JOG if you're planning on using trains. ScotRail can carry tandems on some services but not others:
https://www.scotrail.co.uk/guide-travelling-bike-train (and no, taking the wheels off and pretending it's luggage doesn't work...)
GWR (for the Cornwall bit) are OK with bikes but they need a reservation - again book well in advance cos spaces are limited.

Re accommodation, book it well in advance and tell them that you have a tandem! Some places might have a garage or shed or even allow them into a hallway, others you may have to lock it in the front garden but it'll be essential to tell them this well in advance!
CampagKid

Post by CampagKid »

We were thinking of cycling to Cornwall, taking the GWR from there. On the return leg, we'll be getting picked up from jog by our brother in law who's holidaying in Skye.

Security isn't a massive issue, it's an old Motobecane tandem upgraded to STIs and disc brake front wheel, but I wouldn't like to lose it ! :lol:
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Sounds like a cheat cycling to Cornwall and getting GWR to jog!

Seriously I don't think it will get kicked. Just a cheap coil lock was all I had on my lejog, on a carbon bike with frame bag seat bag luggage. Less tempting to thieves tbh.
CampagKid

Post by CampagKid »

Jamesh wrote: 23 Dec 2022, 11:16am Sounds like a cheat cycling to Cornwall and getting GWR to jog!

Seriously I don't think it will get kicked. Just a cheap coil lock was all I had on my lejog, on a carbon bike with frame bag seat bag luggage. Less tempting to thieves tbh.
The tandem, after all the upgrades owes me about 400 quid. We've had a lot of fun on it, ridden a few London-Brighton and generally messed around. I'd be sad if it got stolen, but not the end of the world. Not a big market for second hand 1990s French tandems I reckon!
horizon

Post by horizon »

rareposter wrote: 23 Dec 2022, 10:51am
GWR (for the Cornwall bit) are OK with bikes but they need a reservation - again book well in advance cos spaces are limited.
1. On GWR (unless I have completely misunderstood something), you won't be able to take a tandem on any of the long distance IETs (i.e. all the trains between Penzance and London).
2. The old HSTs have been converted from high speed seven (?) carriage trains (plus two power cars) but have retained the cycle storage at the end of coach A. This storage used to be able to take tandems and still can unless there has been a rule change. These trains run between Exeter and Penzance and run every hour or two thoughout the day. AFAIK they are NOT bookable, including the cycle storage. You can spot them on-line on GWR as they have no R symbol or catering trolley symbol.
3. The Cross Country trains (Midlands to Plymouth/Penzance) do not accept tandems.
4. There is an overnight sleeper that runs beween Penzance and London Paddington and still has the old luggage compartment. This train accepts surf boards and AFAICS should accept a tandem. You don't have to book a cabin.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher