rack for a gravel bike

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
pjclinch

rack for a gravel bike

Post by pjclinch »

My wife and I are thinking of doing some bike packing next year but we'll probably use our existing panniers rather than faff about with umpteen special miniature bags. My MTB has a rack but her gravel bike doesn't so it'll need one, are there any particular good shouts for these? Bike has braze-ons for rack mounting and disc brakes, and as it's used for 'cross racing it would help if it's fairly easy on and off.

Ta, Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Nearholmer

Re: rack for a gravel bike

Post by Nearholmer »

I use an Ortleib 3 rack (I think it’s called 3, it’s their current one anyway). That has particularly strong lower mounting points, which seem to soak-up the thumping that they get when riding cross-country on rough ground. It’s a conventional four-point fixing, but I’ve got so used to it that I can fit or remove it in five minutes.

As it happens, I now use small panniers, the Ortleib gravel pack ones, although ordinary front panniers on the back work just as well if you have them, because I found that stuff carried expanded to fill the space available with bigger ones, and stuff = weight, which is more unwelcome on rougher ground.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

If you're feeling a bit flush then why not go for the 'tailfin'.

A snip at £340. Used by all the best ultra cyclists!!

https://www.tailfin.cc/product/pannier- ... cba1185463
PH

Post by PH »

If it's going to be used off road, I'd look for a narrow platform, how narrow depends on tyre width, there's a very narrow Tortec I see quite often on Audax bikes but it might be too narrow. There's also the Tubus fly or the titanium equivalent the Airy. The lower rail that I usually like on my racks might be less of an advantage off road, depending on just what that'll entail.
For quick on and off, there's the Ortlieb Quick (Two versions with and without a top platform), which seems to be their response to the Tailfin. Though if you're not taking it off every week, or swapping between bikes, or to frequently pack it in a bag, then the five minutes it takes to remove a standard rack doesn't seem excessive. That's what it takes when I bag my Airnimal.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Thank folks, some good options there (though perhaps not the carbon one...) :)

Pete.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Update: the missus really likes the idea of the Ortlieb Quick (of which both of us were completely unaware), so thanks again to the collective forum wisdom :)

Pete.
mark aldridge

Post by mark aldridge »

I have been using Old Man Mountain racks off road for many years and now use their Elkhorn front and rear as they are better for the smaller panniers I use. They are bombproof, not cheap but have a myriad of mounting options. I defy anyone to be unable to find a suitable one.
Ortleib are also a very good second choice and easier to find in the UK