scottish citylink bus bikesocks

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Pendodave

scottish citylink bus bikesocks

Post by Pendodave »

Just chewing over a few days in scotland, and saw this :
https://hitrans.org.uk/News/Story/1260
The article is a year old. Does anyone have any useful information about how this is currently working?
I'm specifically looking at the inverness/ullapool route because I don't particularly fancy the A835 road to/from civilisation, but any contributions are welcome.
I'll obviously contact them directly, but as the bank holiday weekend is here I wouldn't expect a response for a few days at least...
Paulatic

Re: scottish citylink bus bikesocks

Post by Paulatic »

That looks like an excellent plan. Whilst I’ve never yet been refused by a driver to put my bike in the luggage locker I’ve also never used a service that was full of valuable suitcases. Yes a great idea.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Ron

Post by Ron »

Pendodave wrote: 15 Apr 2022, 11:06amI'll obviously contact them directly, but as the bank holiday weekend is here I wouldn't expect a response for a few days at least...
From Scottish Citylink website........
For travel advice, to book assistance, provide feedback or general enquiries you can email our customer service team at info@citylink.co.uk from 8am to 6pm.

It looks as if you have to provide your own cover, the 'Pilot' period must have ended.
http://citycyclingedinburgh.info/bbpres ... p?id=20899
GrahamJ

Post by GrahamJ »

You might also consider the Durness bus.
http://www.thedurnessbus.com/805-inverness/
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

Ron wrote: 15 Apr 2022, 7:51pm
Pendodave wrote: 15 Apr 2022, 11:06amI'll obviously contact them directly, but as the bank holiday weekend is here I wouldn't expect a response for a few days at least...
From Scottish Citylink website........
For travel advice, to book assistance, provide feedback or general enquiries you can email our customer service team at info@citylink.co.uk from 8am to 6pm.

It looks as if you have to provide your own cover, the 'Pilot' period must have ended.
http://citycyclingedinburgh.info/bbpres ... p?id=20899
I've just read this thread... and I'm still none the wiser! Though I'm impressed at the endeavour of the various contributors.
Disclaimer: on the way back from a gig with a couple of beers consumed...
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

GrahamJ wrote: 15 Apr 2022, 9:19pm You might also consider the Durness bus.
http://www.thedurnessbus.com/805-inverness/
Thanks. This looks like it might help.
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

A quick update on this. Hopefully others can add as things progress.
I contacted a representative from HiTrans, which is the Highlands travel partnership. They sent the following reply (19th April 2022) :

"Yes, it was a pilot project we worked with Citylink to run last year (we funded the bike covers; they did all the rest!). It seemed to work really well, with the route between Ullapool and Inverness being the most used. Citylink are in the process of adding bikes to their booking system, so when you book your seat you’ll also be able to book your bike on; this should be ready to use in the next 6-8 weeks.

If you’re travelling before the booking system is launched, you can still take your bike but will have to take your chances. Two bike socks are provided on each bus, but additional bikes may be carried at the driver’s discretion (it will depend on how much other luggage there is).
Citylink are potentially looking to expand the service to all their routes in Scotland (at the moment it’s only routes operating out of Inverness). You can get more information if you email info@citylink.co.uk"

So it looks as if a little more certainty may soon come to bike/bus travel in those parts of Scotland which are hard to reach by rail.
Sadly a little late for me, as I've just come back from a train/boat trip to the Highlands and Islands which has scratched my Scottish itch for a while, but I'm keen to use this in future and will report back if no-one else does.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

NB date.

"Bikes on buses scheme to expand across Highlands":
https://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/new ... d08N23BYKA

Jonathan
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

That’s great news, as I said earlier I’ve never been refused, it’s a lot better to know you can do it for certain.
The process is easy having just tried it on a trial journey Glasgow> Inverness ….FOC :D :D
4B211030-B26A-4E85-957A-ABA9EE55F8DF.jpeg
I wonder though with a couple of panniers, bar bag and tent will I need to book extra luggage?

E2E info
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

Thanks for the update on this.
I think I mentioned this somewhere else, but I also contacted the campaign coordinator of cycleuk to push things along, but maybe it just happened of its own accord.
I'm looking forward to having a go at this come the spring, so will report back.
PH

Post by PH »

Looks great, I've been using coaches for a number of years, though mostly with a folder, in lots of circumstances it's a better option than a train and usually considerably cheaper (Though I can't match Paulatic's £0) Made me laugh that an extra bag costs and a bike if free, after years of being ready to argue my bag isn't a bike, I now have to insist it is!
I hope it's successful enough to encourage the operator's in England to copy, every coach I've been on has had the luggage capacity and only a handful haven't had spare seats.
Geeka99

Post by Geeka99 »

Hi,

I'm new to using public transport to carry my bike. Do the bike socks offer enough protection for your bike in the baggage store? I've never tried it so I was just wondering if my bike would get damaged. I guess as number of you have done this before, there should not be any damage to the bike.

Separate question. I did travel on a Avanti service last year with my bike dangling from the wall, but the handlebars kept knocking into the wall of the train. Any tips on how to stop that happening as it's only secured by a strap at the top? Luckily there wasn't another bike next to it.

Sue
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Geeka99 wrote: 24 Jan 2023, 9:49am

Separate question. I did travel on a Avanti service last year with my bike dangling from the wall, but the handlebars kept knocking into the wall of the train. Any tips on how to stop that happening as it's only secured by a strap at the top? Luckily there wasn't another bike next to it.

Sue
what was the Avanti service/journey where you had to dangle the bike?
Sweep
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Geeka99 wrote: 24 Jan 2023, 9:49am Hi,

I'm new to using public transport to carry my bike. Do the bike socks offer enough protection for your bike in the baggage store? I've never tried it so I was just wondering if my bike would get damaged. I guess as number of you have done this before, there should not be any damage to the bike.

Sue
The sock is to protect other people’s luggage from the risk of oil and dirt from your bike. A reason I’ve heard some drivers refuse a bike if hold is full of luggage.
I always lay my bike down on the left hand side and it’s never come to any harm. We once had coaches with bike racks in the hold but my bike wouldn’t fit in them. :(
I can’t help with the Avanti question as the last time I used them it was still lean against the wall in cargo area behind the driver.

E2E info
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

@geeka99 Securing a bike on a train is tricky as there are an infinite number of methods used and you regularly encounter a crucial bit missing such as a securing strap. I usually carry a bungee chord in the saddle bag as there is often something you can secure it to.