When will Eurostar recommence carrying bikes?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
pal

Re: When will Eurostar recommence carrying bikes?

Post by pal »

I too came here to post this! Excellent news.
Andrew-l

Post by Andrew-l »

Interesting sign. That looks like it would be setup for you to collect your bike and then take it through customs. Potentially much less walking involved.
I do remember having to drop my bike off the night before as I had an early train - I guess that wouldn't be possible now, and hopefully not needed!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

TOMORROW!

"Our bike and luggage services will resume on selected trains between London and Paris from 25 January 2023. This will be a limited service at first."
https://www.eurostar.com/uk-en/travel-i ... gage/bikes

Boxed or folded and bagged.

Jonathan

PS: Why the trains are running with empty seats:
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... s-brussels
Andrew-l

Post by Andrew-l »

So, by boxed, it sounds like pre-boxed in your own box. I.e. just like flying?

And you then have to move your boxed bike yourself, with no trolley? I wonder if you can unbox it, reassemble and abandon the box? A bit academic really though, as I'm not going to find a box easily near either Gare du Nord or St Pancras. Unfortunately, no advantage at all over flying. 🙄
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Talking of flying:
While we’re on the subject of two-wheeled transport, you won’t be able to travel on Eurostar with an electric scooter (e-scooter) or hoverboard.
Spoilsports.
scragend

Post by scragend »

Andrew-l wrote: 24 Jan 2023, 11:26pm So, by boxed, it sounds like pre-boxed in your own box. I.e. just like flying?

And you then have to move your boxed bike yourself, with no trolley? I wonder if you can unbox it, reassemble and abandon the box? A bit academic really though, as I'm not going to find a box easily near either Gare du Nord or St Pancras. Unfortunately, no advantage at all over flying. 🙄
Stuff that then.

If the reason for them ceasing to carry bikes was, as we are asked to believe, Brexit, then why is it now OK to carry them if they are boxed but not if they are unboxed? Doesn't sound like a customs issue, more like a Eurostar doesn't want them issue.
Andrew-l

Post by Andrew-l »

scragend wrote: 25 Jan 2023, 10:56am

Stuff that then.

If the reason for them ceasing to carry bikes was, as we are asked to believe, Brexit, then why is it now OK to carry them if they are boxed but not if they are unboxed? Doesn't sound like a customs issue, more like a Eurostar doesn't want them issue.
My thoughts exactly. What a shame. Was just getting excited about heading back from Nice by train rather than plane, but this kills it really.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Updated coverage from Cycling UK:
https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/euros ... ge-service

Jonathan
mjr

Post by mjr »

Andrew-l wrote: 24 Jan 2023, 11:26pm So, by boxed, it sounds like pre-boxed in your own box. I.e. just like flying?
Eurostar (or was it Eurodespatch?) used to provide boxes. Do they no longer?

If not, maybe the Evans Cycles on Pancras Road would like to sell some boxes?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

This sounds flipping briliiant ...

... if you live within a cheap taxi-ride of St Pancras.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

The Cycling UK article describes availability of boxes, but I think that it's all still changing.

Jonathan
Andrew-l

Post by Andrew-l »

Just had it confirmed by Eurostar support that we need to provide our own boxes.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks

Jonathan
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Unbelievable.

What moron at Eurostar thought that one up. It's bad enough getting a boxed bike to an airport, but at least they are all outside the M25 and relatively easy to drive to.

I have once taken a boxed bike from Heathrow to Barking on the tube. No rules to stop it and I did it in peak time. Not popular with other travellers. The crazy thing is that bikebox, plus panniers is a very awkward load, much more so than a loaded bike, so much more of a hazard.

One final.point. Do they give dimensions for said bikebox. We are thinking cardboard LBS they may be thinking much smaller hard case.

Happy touring.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

The Chunnel (Folkestone-Calais):

If you can get to Folkestone* (reasonably) easily, and you like the sound of Calais(!), this is a fairly painless option.
Only once a day, but no disassembling, boxing, or folding required, £35 1-way:

https://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/travellin ... /bicycles/

*Folkestone West Railway Station ideally
https://goo.gl/maps/9EmGa6yRdMqiyC2H9