Gear cable inserts

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Eyebrox

Re: Gear cable inserts

Post by Eyebrox »

Sandyman wrote: 25 Jan 2023, 9:03pm Thanks Eyebrox. Is there any chance of getting one that matches the other side? Is it possible to recognise what make and model that would even be?
I suggest you buy a pair and replace both cables and adjusters. Your bike will thank you. :-)
slowster

Post by slowster »

Sandyman wrote: 21 Jan 2023, 9:19pm his gear cable snapped at the point it leaves the lever assembly. It went through a sort of short plastic sheath before going into the cable housing itself, and it was this short bit of plastic that was slightly twisted so over time it must've weakened the cable.
The adjuster in the first photograph you posted above does not appear to me to be a proper fit in the STI lever cable opening. I think the longer barrel inline adjusters are typically designed for inserting between two sections of cable outer, rather than one end into an STI.

Jagwire Rocket adjusters are described as being suitable for insertion into STI levers, and I think would be a better choice.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cables/jagw ... -per-pair/
Sandyman

Post by Sandyman »

Eyebrox wrote: 25 Jan 2023, 11:08pm
Sandyman wrote: 25 Jan 2023, 9:03pm Thanks Eyebrox. Is there any chance of getting one that matches the other side? Is it possible to recognise what make and model that would even be?
I suggest you buy a pair and replace both cables and adjusters. Your bike will thank you. :-)
Yes good Idea 👍
Sandyman

Post by Sandyman »

slowster wrote: 25 Jan 2023, 11:31pm
Sandyman wrote: 21 Jan 2023, 9:19pm his gear cable snapped at the point it leaves the lever assembly. It went through a sort of short plastic sheath before going into the cable housing itself, and it was this short bit of plastic that was slightly twisted so over time it must've weakened the cable.
The adjuster in the first photograph you posted above does not appear to me to be a proper fit in the STI lever cable opening. I think the longer barrel inline adjusters are typically designed for inserting between two sections of cable outer, rather than one end into an STI.

Jagwire Rocket adjusters are described as being suitable for insertion into STI levers, and I think would be a better choice.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cables/jagw ... -per-pair/
They look good, thanks I'll probably get some.