LEJoG & Car Rental

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
plook

LEJoG & Car Rental

Post by plook »

My cycling buddy has been tasked with investigating one way car rental from Sheffield to Penzance and we have that pretty much locked that down and comes out cheaper than trains.

For the other end we are struggling from Wick. They have a Transit, but i think that will be too fuel heavy, but they have a Kia Ceed and a Vauxhall Corsa.

Does anyone here have any knowledge of fitting two bikes and panniers in those two cars? I am comfortable with removing all wheels and assembling at other end. Both bikes have mudguards but i'm ok with re-fitting those too.
Thanks
roubaixtuesday

Re: LEJoG & Car Rental

Post by roubaixtuesday »

plook wrote: 22 Jan 2023, 11:52am My cycling buddy has been tasked with investigating one way car rental from Sheffield to Penzance and we have that pretty much locked that down and comes out cheaper than trains.

For the other end we are struggling from Wick. They have a Transit, but i think that will be too fuel heavy, but they have a Kia Ceed and a Vauxhall Corsa.

Does anyone here have any knowledge of fitting two bikes and panniers in those two cars? I am comfortable with removing all wheels and assembling at other end. Both bikes have mudguards but i'm ok with re-fitting those too.
Thanks
No experience with those specifically, but I've had two bikes plus panniers in the back of an old vw polo before, and my son's had two bikes in the back of a citigo, which is much smaller again.

I'd say doubtless doable, might be a bit of a 3D jigsaw, and you need not to be precious about scratching them. Taking pedals off helps a lot and if you've a 24" frame like me, seatpost too.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

They'll almost certainly fit, one way or another, even if it means taking the seatpost out or turning the bars

The problem is more going to be keeping the interior in a "hire car friendly" state and ideally not having to get the bikes in and out more than once. See if you can source some cardboard or blankets when you pick the car up, it'll help massively with stopping things getting scratched or scuffed or rattling around for hours!

I've done one-way hire from Wick Airport a couple of times, the process itself was fairly painless but you're right, being such a remote place they don't have the range of cars that you'd get in more populated areas.
plook

Post by plook »

rareposter wrote: 22 Jan 2023, 2:19pm They'll almost certainly fit, one way or another, even if it means taking the seatpost out or turning the bars

The problem is more going to be keeping the interior in a "hire car friendly" state and ideally not having to get the bikes in and out more than once. See if you can source some cardboard or blankets when you pick the car up, it'll help massively with stopping things getting scratched or scuffed or rattling around for hours!

I've done one-way hire from Wick Airport a couple of times, the process itself was fairly painless but you're right, being such a remote place they don't have the range of cars that you'd get in more populated areas.
Thank you both for these encouraging replies, just what I needed.
nickyboy

Post by nickyboy »

No problem. We did Hyde in Cheshire to Penzance in a rented Skoda Fabia with two bikes in the back. With the wheels off they went in easily. The Corsa is ever so slightly smaller but the Ceed is way bigger.
oldtimer99

Post by oldtimer99 »

Thought of going the other way?
We did....hired a small van from Hull, drove to wick etc.
Pocked up another small van in Penzance....
oldtimer99

Post by oldtimer99 »

Well, not pocked exactly, unless that's Cornish for picked
plook

Post by plook »

Doing similar thing with rentals but other way with ‘prevailing wind’.
plook

Post by plook »

I’m thinking of renting a car from Wicke and the car available is a Toyota CHR. Anyone here ever got two bikes and panniers in one of those.
Attachments
BD9456D3-8E58-40CB-BF9E-ED09C94EA432.png
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Should be an easy job taking the front wheels off.
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

Jamesh wrote: 4 Mar 2023, 7:40pm Should be an easy job taking the front wheels off.
Both wheels off and the rear triangles in a black bin bag works in all but a smart car I'd have thought.
plook

Post by plook »

Really appreciate this.