Santander to Portsmouth Ferry Tips

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
geocycle

Re: Santander to Portsmouth Ferry Tips

Post by geocycle »

Those who's idea of cycle touring involves sleeping under a hedge will enjoy recliners, those who like hotels will want a cabin. It's a very long crossing so for me a cabin is a no-brainer. If you can't get a cabin, as we couldn't during the ash cloud evacuation, then there is a temptation to sleep on deck under the stars, just be aware the crew swill decks down very early in the morning!
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

The replies would cover both crossings I think.
Yes, that's my impression - the BF way applies across the fleet.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Davesmith3

Post by Davesmith3 »

Thank to everyone for their tips and advice

Looks like I will be booking a cabin then!

Cheers
WEBH

Post by WEBH »

Looking at this trip as well, in May. Does anyone know about food on the ferry, Brittany website seems to imply basic meals are free, although they also list quite pricy a la carte options? As a cheapskate I would obviously be looking at multiple visits to a free option!
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

WEBH wrote: 23 Jan 2023, 9:14pm Looking at this trip as well, in May. Does anyone know about food on the ferry, Brittany website seems to imply basic meals are free, although they also list quite pricy a la carte options? As a cheapskate I would obviously be looking at multiple visits to a free option!
It's a few years since I have been on a Brittany Ferries ship, but I don't remember any free food.
Richard M
Cardiff
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I didn't see any free food last June (return trip to Brittany and Normandy). There is a canteen with very average food. I had fish and chips for about €12.

Maybe for truckers in their canteen??
Sparky56

Post by Sparky56 »

We did this crossing a few years ago (2019 I think) with family, stayed in a cabin.
The food was excellent - but I can’t remember the price -
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

but I don't remember any free food.
Free food - on a BF service? No chance... When I used to travel with BF regularly, the food was good value - my preference was the mid-range grill cafe, with steak and chips being my fave. But free - no way! EDIT a quick web search turns this up - so, with certain tickets, you get included meals, but they're not free - you're just paying for them up front... (note date)
screenshot of ferry ticket offer
screenshot of ferry ticket offer
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

free food - on a BF service? No chance
My experience as well from 2007 to 2019 unless I missed it!!
WEBH

Post by WEBH »

You are all correct. They only offered this on the Santander Portsmouth service, and as of December have stopped.
So I will have to put my hand in my pocket, unfortunately.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

brianleach wrote: 24 Jan 2023, 8:18am
free food - on a BF service? No chance
My experience as well from 2007 to 2019 unless I missed it!!
If you join their 'Club Voyage' you get 30% off sailing proces and £10 towards a meal. It's probably only worth it if you're taking a car, and going both ways, because it costs £75 (I think) to join the club.
Chris F, Cornwall
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

What’s the cost for a bike and passenger now? It used to be good but then it was almost as much as a car due allegedly to terminal costs.
WEBH

Post by WEBH »

It's £241! That's with a £91 cabin as opposed to a £10 seat. Which makes Ryanair look reasonable.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

WEBH wrote: 26 Jan 2023, 7:24pm It's £241! That's with a £91 cabin as opposed to a £10 seat. Which makes Ryanair look reasonable.
Wow, and that is one way? Makes you want to ride back.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

geocycle wrote: 26 Jan 2023, 7:39pm
WEBH wrote: 26 Jan 2023, 7:24pm It's £241! That's with a £91 cabin as opposed to a £10 seat. Which makes Ryanair look reasonable.
Wow, and that is one way? Makes you want to ride back.
It’s a ride worth doing!

On the prices they’ve got a nasty habit of tagging it as a mini cruise. It was a lot cheaper when I was looking at booking in the autumn but presumably the cheaper tickets have gone now. You could argue that you are saving £60+ on a room for the night at an airport and airport parking but I don’t know your overall costs- I find it’s quite interesting checking them in the round but I would have expected this to be at least £50-£60 cheaper than it is.