Bicycle touring in Puglia, Italy

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
tmac100

Bicycle touring in Puglia, Italy

Post by tmac100 »

Has anyone taken a bicycle tour of Puglia, Italy starting and ending in Lecce?

It looks interesting. A firm sent me a notice that they are starting their week-long tours again: www.salentobicitour.org is the firm. Because of my university classes in Portugal, I only have the first couple of weeks in June as a possibility.

As I have not bicycled for several years, I figure I should rent a bicycle for maybe 5 days before the tour starts and bicycle up to 50 km each day to "break my legs in again".

Thoughts/comments please.
MrsHJ

Re: Bicycle touring in Puglia, Italy

Post by MrsHJ »

I haven’t got much to add other than that I fancied a similar route for the spring but concluded that it was out of budget this year. I wouldn’t worry too much about getting legs in- it’s better if you do but if not you’ll go a bit slower but get there in the end.

I did a tour in the north of Italy last spring. I found this guide very useful (written by a forum member) so if you haven’t seen it he has recommended a tour of Puglia. https://italy-cycling-guide.info/
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

Looks like some good riding. No real climbs to speak of. The country is beautiful, though most is a little arid. The food cannot be beat and the local wine industry has come a long way.
I would google for reviews, and when I opened the site, my anti virus blocked several cookies as threats. Not sure if that is intentional.
Each region in Italy has numerous organized bike tours, if there is a region you prefer there are tour companies
Let us know how it turns out.
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
ubert767

Post by ubert767 »

A few years back my wife and I did a Pulgia tour, flying in an out of Bari. We cycled north up the east coast, then down the centre, toward Ostuni, then east coast again back to Bari. Thoroughly enjoyable it was too. Found the locals incredibly friendly even this sinister looking bunch who invited us to join them for beer and broad beans.
P1040094.jpeg
Cyclists generally well received. Try to visit Matera if you can.
The roads were similar to what ours have now become and apart from an incident with a pack of stray dogs had no issues. Used "openfietsmaps" on a Garmin Etrex 20 for navigation.
ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

tmac100 wrote: 14 Jan 2023, 4:48pm... has anyone taken a bicycle tour of Puglia, Italy starting in Lecce?
Yes, simply wonderful!
https://prendoillargo.blogspot.com/2018 ... -sele.html