Fort Augustus to Fort William via Loch Oich and Loch Lochy

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
island girl

Fort Augustus to Fort William via Loch Oich and Loch Lochy

Post by island girl »

Looking for some up to date information. A group of us are planning to cycle Fort Augustus to Fort William, only 30 miles. Plan to cycle on path east side of Loch Oich, cross at North Laggan, cycle west side of Loch Lochy. Are forestry paths very rough ? Is it doable on 25mm tyres or would the minimum be 28mm tyres.
Geoff Morgan

Re: Fort Augustus to Fort William via Loch Oich and Loch Lochy

Post by Geoff Morgan »

Hi ... I cycled this in May/June last year, not sure if that's recent enough. As I recall there was a bit of forestry work going on at the time that made part of it pretty rough - it would depend how much rain there's been if that's doable or not. Apart from that though I think it should be OK for 25 .... most of it was pretty hard packed gravel as I recall.
mcgroa

Post by mcgroa »

I did the official path last summer. It's all on the west side and well made. Not sure what the benefit of doing the East side would be other than never it's less hilly than the drop/climb in and out of Invergarry.
joliebrousseau

Post by joliebrousseau »

Hi there! While I don't have personal experience with those forestry paths, I've heard they can be quite rough in some areas. It's possible to complete the route on 25mm tyres, but it might be a bit more challenging than with 28mm tyres. Hopefully someone else in the forum can offer more specific advice! Good luck with your trip!
island girl

Post by island girl »

Thank you. Does anyone know of a cafe near North or South Laggan. The Eagle Barge restaurant is closed on the day we are cycling through.