Taxis to transfer luggage

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
paulhartopp

Taxis to transfer luggage

Post by paulhartopp »

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has used a taxi to take luggage to the next destination when doing a cycling tour?
mxg01

Re: Taxis to transfer luggage

Post by mxg01 »

No, but once on a walking tour in Wales. It worked well, but you can cycle a lot further than you can walk in a day, so I expect it would be more expensive. We just called local firms who weren't fazed by the request. Places we stayed were used to such things too.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Welcome.

We've used them a lot for walking. sometimes with companies that also book everything.

Recent discussion:
viewtopic.php?t=154618

Jonathan
softlips

Post by softlips »

Not on a cycling tour but I've used taxis to send medical equipment to hospitals across the country regularly.
horizon

Post by horizon »

mxg01 wrote: 2 Feb 2023, 12:46pm ... but you can cycle a lot further than you can walk in a day, so I expect it would be more expensive.
Good point - a 60 mile taxi trip? Even divided between say four people that might be a bit too much.

And you can carry a lot more on a bicycle, to the extent that you don't need a taxi back up. 10 kg isn't a lot on a bicycle and should cover most overnight needs apart from camping (and you should probably get away with less).

If you are on a super-lightweight (i.e. no luggage) tour, then you might consider a back-up car as a better option, though that means that you probably aren't on a "tour" but on a challenge ride.

It would be helpful for the OP to say how far per day, how much luggage and how many people. Generally though, the answer is most likely, don't bother with the taxi.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
horizon

Post by horizon »

Jdsk wrote: 2 Feb 2023, 12:48pm Welcome.

We've used them a lot for walking. sometimes with companies that also book everything.

Recent discussion:
viewtopic.php?t=154618

Jonathan
Quote from that thread:
For instance last year I organised a 3-day tour in Wales for four Belgians, planning their routes, booking their accommodation and transferring their bags for them
I led a cycling group in Cornwall once that was organised by a company that used a luggage transfer van (and supplied the bikes). The participants had huge suitcases to carry but that was because they staying in hotels and were expecting their luggage to be carried. Obviously, if you are planning a self-supported cycle tour, you take apppropriate stuff and the right amount. Experience in this regard is therefore helpful. Once again it would be useful to hear from the OP about the experience and expectations of the group in regard to the amount of luggage they would take.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher