Quick unclog of mudguards?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Re: Quick unclog of mudguards?

Post by Brucey »

Hose is of course also leggings or trousers; this still appears as the primary definition in some English dictionaries. The other (main) use of the word is for a flexible tube that is meant for conveyance of gases or liquids. The word 'hosepipe' may appear tautologous but it neatly conveys the meaning of a hose that is most likely to convey water, usually water that was originally potable when it entered the hose. This is in contrast to hoses that are used connected to engines or other machines which may not contain water at all. Note that keen gardeners often store rainwater in water butts and use that (basically clean, unprocessed, but not bug-free) water on the garden; they may also use bathwater on the garden in times of drought, thus 'garden hose' may be used for water that is not potable when it enters the hose and thus has a slightly different meaning.

In the UK when there is a drought and there is a 'hosepipe ban' everyone knows exactly what is meant by that. I don't think there is a suitable alternative word or phrase which is as precise or economical.

American English is full of differences to British English; what we call a tap they call a spigot ( which is at first baffling, or 'faucet', which sounds rather archaic to most Brits), and the (correct) engineering use of the word spigot would never occur to most Americans.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Brucey wrote:Hose is of course also leggings or trousers; this still appears as the primary definition in some English dictionaries. The other (main) use of the word is for a flexible tube that is meant for conveyance of gases or liquids. The word 'hosepipe' may appear tautologous but it neatly conveys the meaning of a hose that is most likely to convey water, usually water that was originally potable when it entered the hose. This is in contrast to hoses that are used connected to engines or other machines which may not contain water at all. Note that keen gardeners often store rainwater in water butts and use that (basically clean, unprocessed, but not bug-free) water on the garden; they may also use bathwater on the garden in times of drought, thus 'garden hose' may be used for water that is not potable when it enters the hose and thus has a slightly different meaning.

In the UK when there is a drought and there is a 'hosepipe ban' everyone knows exactly what is meant by that. I don't think there is a suitable alternative word or phrase which is as precise or economical.

American English is full of differences to British English; what we call a tap they call a spigot ( which is at first baffling, or 'faucet', which sounds rather archaic to most Brits), and the (correct) engineering use of the word spigot would never occur to most Americans.

cheers

There are a lot of superfluous words there, Brucey. I hoped "sort of" covered your points.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Mike Sales wrote:
There are a lot of superfluous words there, Brucey. I hoped "sort of" covered your points.

it may appear so if you already understand the usage and meanings of the words under discussion.

Needless to say I wrote what I wrote for the benefit of others.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Debs wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:I suppose "hosepipe" is a sort of tautology.

It will be taut if the hosepipe is not long enough :lol:

That's log(ic)y
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
rjb

Post by rjb »

Just had an idle thought. Has anyone tried attaching a brush to their wheel using a toe strap or removable cable tie and just spinning your wheel.
Depending upon the clearance you could try a toothbrush with the excess handle cut off or something bigger if you have lots of clearance. :wink:
BTW i haven't tried this yet but maybe later.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

rjb wrote: 27 Jan 2023, 1:40pm Just had an idle thought. Has anyone tried attaching a brush to their wheel using a toe strap or removable cable tie and just spinning your wheel.
No.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

On a ride? Bang the bike up and down til it clears or smack the guard a bit. At home take the wheel out and smack the guard or poke it a bit.
Maybe I could design a gadget, paint it blue and sell it to people at a silly price.
If we are in washing season washing the guards works quite well.
peetee

Post by peetee »

mattsccm wrote: 27 Jan 2023, 5:29pm Maybe I could design a gadget, paint it blue and sell it to people at a silly price.
You know where you can Park that idea, matey! :wink:
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

For unclogging on a ride, which is normally due to a mixture of mud and leaves or twigs, rarely mud alone, I keep a piece of old brake cable outer in the on-bike toolkit.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

This thread reminds me of an Audax a few years ago - Charnwood in the Spring. The route goes through Kegworth in Leics. Contractors were in the middle of building the Kegworth Bypass, but kindly allowed us to ride through their partially built road. When I say partially built, they had really only just started by laying out the road in the soil/mud. We rode over the area, within a few feet the wheels were completely clogged and the bike had to be carried the rest of the way until we got back on tarmac. Then it was like a scene from the Battle of the Somme. Bikes and people everywhere, trying to unclog their machines using whatever was available. Bike multi tools, tyre levers, bits of wood, twigs and small branches, odd bits of metal, some DPC that was lying around. After about 15 minutes work on my and my wife’s bike, clearing the mud that had got everywhere, we managed to get back on the road. It was all anyone talked about for the rest of the ride.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

TrevA wrote: 27 Jan 2023, 9:55pm This thread reminds me of an Audax a few years ago - Charnwood in the Spring. The route goes through Kegworth in Leics. Contractors were in the middle of building the Kegworth Bypass, but kindly allowed us to ride through their partially built road. When I say partially built, they had really only just started by laying out the road in the soil/mud. We rode over the area, within a few feet the wheels were completely clogged and the bike had to be carried the rest of the way until we got back on tarmac. Then it was like a scene from the Battle of the Somme. Bikes and people everywhere, trying to unclog their machines using whatever was available. Bike multi tools, tyre levers, bits of wood, twigs and small branches, odd bits of metal, some DPC that was lying around. After about 15 minutes work on my and my wife’s bike, clearing the mud that had got everywhere, we managed to get back on the road. It was all anyone talked about for the rest of the ride.
Ha-ha! There is nothing worse than building site mud for a bike - you have my sympathies.