Cannulated Screw hip repair

gbnz

Re: Cannulated Screw hip repair

Post by gbnz »

Pebble wrote: 26 Dec 2022, 11:03am
sorry to hear all this, I had noticed that you hadn't been on the forum for a while, but did not know why. Was it a bike accident? Hope you mend well and get back out on the road.
Many thanks, had a 10 fold improvement in the past week alone. Rib's & the like will be ok at 8 weeks, it's purely the leg which'll take another 2-4 months, 12" metal rods and screws having been knocked/screwed in. I presume a bit of pain may continue in later life :wink:

And just for general info (Nb. Given the useful info on the subject in this thread), the primary injury/surgery repair required the inserting of a 12" Intramedullary Nail and a couple of screws to hold the femur together. Painful beyond belief, the leg swollen to literally twice a normal size., but timetable of recovery hasn't been impossible to date; 9 days immobile in a Major Trauma Unit followed by 9 days in the same unit where 20' walks on a full frame was possible. Then on discharge, 3 weeks on double crutches, where 0.25-.0.75 mile daily walks were possible. And then 3 weeks on a single crutch, with distance and ease of walking improving remarkably.

NHS have issued a generic "No bike" for six months, though I'm sure an exceptionally slow speed (2-4mph), level ride immediately around town will be possible within 2.5 months of the injury. Due to it being January, cold, wet, grey, haven't tried the actual bike yet, other than spinning the pedals indoors. But at 10.5 weeks, no issue with "spinning" on an exercise bike for 40 minute sessions, at minimal resistance and low HRM (I.e. 60-65% max heart rate). Took the bike out precisely quarter of a year following the smashed up leg/surgery.. Short, minimal distances (15 miles), slow speed, purely to obtain movement of the leg. 4 No. such rides during February.

And at fiveteen weeks post-accident, had the first "proper" ride. Purely the 28.5 mile I'd normally do as a quick evening spin and though I kept the speed down and the pressure off the recovering leg, a decent ride was quite possible. And a several mile walk without using a crutch has been quite possible. Both final ride and walk caused significant aches, requiring 48 Hr's with little or no movement to allow rest & recovery, but nothing was strained. And twenty weeks post-accident, have done 144 miles in week twenty without an issue. Short 18-32 mile rides, no issue getting up hills, a decent enough pace, could easily have pushed the bike along more quickly if I'd wanted. Effectively back to normal, it's more a case that I'll take it a bit easier than normal for another month or so, purely until CT Scans/X Rays have proved bones are all fully recovered (Nb. Worth taking it easy for days'/months, to ensure it's all fully repaired)
Last edited by gbnz on 30 Mar 2023, 6:27pm, edited 10 times in total.
Barrowman

Post by Barrowman »

Ouch.
Picking up the Hip replacement theme, I used to ride occasionally with Percy Stallard ( the father of uk road racing , British League if Racing Cyclists for those who don't recognise the name) in his later years ( family orientated weekend rides) who had worn out 2 hip replacements riding his bike. I am sure the technology in materials has improved since his time. So sure you will all be back on your bikes pretty soon.
Coaster531

Post by Coaster531 »

This is a very sobering thread that I have learnt a lot from.

One question. Is being clipped into the pedals a significant greater risk factor here compared to not being?

I am interested to hear your views.

Thanks,

Stephen.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Coaster531 wrote: 12 Jan 2023, 8:43amOne question. Is being clipped into the pedals a significant greater risk factor here compared to not being?
Given my general incompetence riding off-road, it was certainly a major factor in swapping to flats on my MTB, which I wish I'd done sooner (it took a while to stop using my shins to rotate the cranks into a starting position :roll: ). Clipless remain a requirement on my recumbent trikes, though :wink:
"42"
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Coaster531 wrote: 12 Jan 2023, 8:43am This is a very sobering thread that I have learnt a lot from.

One question. Is being clipped into the pedals a significant greater risk factor here compared to not being?

I am interested to hear your views.

Thanks,

Stephen.
I'd presume clipless pedals will increase risk to a certain extent, preventing subconscious and immediate movements of the leg when coming off the bike. Though speed of transit, speed of impact, angle of impact will be of vastly greater significance (Nb. Haven't worn clipless for a few years, though think it was merely a limited budget in respect to clips/boots/shoes/pedals which caused it)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Coaster531 wrote: 12 Jan 2023, 8:43am ...
For risk of fracture I'm not aware of any evidence either way, and it's hard to imagine how anyone would know,

For comfort and effects on soft tissue there are many anecdotal reports of clipping in causing problems.

Jonathan
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Jdsk wrote: 14 Jan 2023, 9:39am
Coaster531 wrote: 12 Jan 2023, 8:43am ...
For risk of fracture I'm not aware of any evidence either way, and it's hard to imagine how anyone would know,

For comfort and effects on soft tissue there are many anecdotal reports of clipping in causing problems.

Jonathan
Maybe i'm just built weird but i find step in pedals help stabilise my otherwise errant left knee (cracked the patella into 3 @ 35 years ago, the DVT in 2017 hasn't helped :? ) resulting in less discomfort paricularly on longer rides. If i use SPD's with float i can actually see my dodgy leg twisting all over the place and my legs tire quite quickly compared to being locked in more solidly.

Any time i ride without firm retention i find quite difficult to maintain a smooth pedaling action which can't be good for fofgy leg joints
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

? (Sorry, copied and then couldn't delete an earlier post of mine. Belatedly realised putting a question mark on the edited / blank post, may make it look as if I was questioning other posts. I wasn't :?
Last edited by gbnz on 26 Feb 2023, 2:23pm, edited 2 times in total.
aflook

Post by aflook »

I haven’t read all this thread and no doubt it’s full of sound advice. Just wanted to send a message of hope to the OP. In 1984 at the age of 27 I cleverly fell off a bridge in Nicaragua and had to be flown home with a broken femur and broken wrist (not to mention a few teeth and a love affair). They put a “dynamic hip-screw” in my hip and a bracket that looks like something from B&Q in my wrist. I never bothered to have the hardware taken out but probably should have done. Neither hip nor wrist have given me any trouble since, although teeth have been dropping out steadily and the 20cm scar on my thigh has caused some interest. As for the love affair, pleased to say I met someone else and life is good.
So no reason to suppose you won’t make a full, if not speedy, recovery. Just watch out for those teeth….
brucelily

Post by brucelily »

Joined the club through a skiing accident just over 6 weeks ago. Operated with Stryker 3 cannulated screws in France. The screws are permanent. I live in the UK.

Femoral Neck Fracture garden 2.

I feel left alone by the med team and the forum has been useful, thank you to everyone who shared their experiences.

My experiences:
Day 1- 3 operated 30 hours after accident and flown home on an Easyjet flight. Very uncomfortable.
Day 4 - 5 - my leg was badly swollen to over twice its size and back into hospital
Upped painkillers and subsided.
Week 2 onwards sleep improved and became more mobile on my crutches
Week 6 - first fracture meeting (at our National Health Service hospital) - the area is not improving and the heads of the screws have moved away from the bone - looks as though the neck is collapsing - possible AVN elongated screws etc. The staff requested I come back in 6 weeks instead of 3 months.

I started exercises, lunges, pelvic thrusts and walking with the crutches which is painful in around the groin, outside of the thigh and the abductor muscle .

Emailed the surgeon in France who said it is too early to condemn the surgery or consider prothesis and to leave for 7 - 9 months then decide.

I am post op week 7 in 2 days and have a second opinion with an alternative surgeon privately.

It is difficult no knowing what the outcome will be and when!
Last edited by brucelily on 25 Apr 2023, 11:53am, edited 1 time in total.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

brucelily wrote: 24 Apr 2023, 4:45pm Joined the club just over 6 weeks ago. .......t is difficult no knowing what the outcome will be and when!
Presuming you're a cyclist, fairly fit and from the sound of what you're written, accustomed and experienced in exercising? Take heart!

It's 25 weeks & 1 day ago I couldn't move 5-10mm, a leg, pelvis, thigh, wrist, hand and ribs broken into a dozen pieces, with lower vertebrae fractured. 12" metal rods and screws inserted, took 48-55 minutes to sit upright, some 12-14 days post accident. Agonizing for weeks.

I stayed off the bike for a precise 13 weeks, though been back at a typical 130-150 miles weekly for 4-5 weeks now. Could have pushed it a bit more quickly, but preferred to play it safe, not pushing on the pedals and doing a 1+ mile walk from the fourth week onwards, to stretch muscles, tendons and so on. Spinning on an exercise bike from the 10th week, has been useful for cardio fitness. No issue pushing on the hills now, though am still taking it fairly easy (Nb. Am desperate for blue skies, sun and little or no wind!)