Cable housing: Shimano vs Jagwire

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
crg

Cable housing: Shimano vs Jagwire

Post by crg »

Which is better?
Shimano OT-SP41 or Jagwire LEX-SL?

Shimano SLR brake housing or Shimano M-system housing?
How do they compare with Jagwire’s CGX-SL brake housing?
mattsccm

Re: Cable housing: Shimano vs Jagwire

Post by mattsccm »

Now, whilst I regard Jagwire stuff as as good as anything I do wonder when you can get the stuff for peanuts from Aliexpress. Hmmm
interestedcp

Post by interestedcp »

I have used Jagwire LEX, LEX-SL (shifting) and CEX (brake) for many years with great success. I have never needed to re-adjust my gear shifting after installation of new cable housing with Jagwire, something I often had to do with cheaper cable housing.

AFAIK, the difference between Jagwire LEX and LEX-SL is simply that the latter comes pre-lubricated with Silicone grease. Same with Shimano OT-SP40 and SP41; the difference is the lubrication.

Silicone grease* is ideal lubrication for cable housing, since it doesn't attract dirt, doesn't attack rubber seals and O-rings, or the plastic in the cable housing, works well at low temperatures without getting stiff, is hydrophobic which protects against corrosion and cables freezing when it freezes after a thaw, and has really good lubrication characteristics when it come to non-metal to metal friction, like the plastic liner both cable brands uses.

Shimano sells small tubs of silicone grease meant for cable lubrication, useful for topping up when replacing just the wires.

My own experience with Shimano cable kits was rather "meh", but that was more than 10 years ago. My experience with polymer coated wires like the ones in some versions of OT-SP41 is somewhat negative; they have little friction, but it doesn't take much to make the coating peel off, and correct installation is crucial.
The extra-slick Jagwire wires has almost as little friction as the polymer coated wires I have tried, but are much more durable and fuzz free.

*Silicone grease isn't a fixed formula so characteristics varies, however, silicone grease meant for wire lubrication has the above properties.
--
Regards
crg

Post by crg »

Thanks @interestedcp.
Appreciate the detailed response.