Drooling over a Monster

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
UpWrong

Drooling over a Monster

Post by UpWrong »

Anybody else staring longingly at the ICE Trice Monster on eBay?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/404118617919
I'm surprised it's still there. I thought this was THE legendary ICE trike, a real collectors' piece. Think I'd have grabbed it if I had the space. Excellent for BHPC racing I'd have thought. Probably inferior to a VTX on the road, but oh, what an art work and a piece of history.
hercule

Re: Drooling over a Monster

Post by hercule »

It’s a lovely piece of engineering and trike history. But if you want to go fast I think the VTX will beat it hands down…lighter, lower, more reclined, and 20”/700c wheels over 18”/26”. I wouldn’t swap mine! :D
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

hercule wrote: 29 Jan 2023, 8:14pm It’s a lovely piece of engineering and trike history. But if you want to go fast I think the VTX will beat it hands down…lighter, lower, more reclined, and 20”/700c wheels over 18”/26”. I wouldn’t swap mine! :D
The Monster is actually lower and narrower. The smaller wheels might not matter so much on the race track, but would slow it down on real roads I suspect. Also tyre choices are more limited. Yep, I'd take the VTX too. That's progress for you.
nobrakes

Post by nobrakes »

I saw it too.

A great piece of history, but not that practical for Scottish roads :)

I’m sure it will be a beautiful piece of engineering like everything that comes out of Falmouth.

Somebody with a big garage will no doubt snap it up!
hercule

Post by hercule »

On second looks you are right about the height.. the seat on the VTX is way behind the cruciform (compared to my QNT) but if anything the Monster is even further back and that main tube hasn’t got much space between it and the ground. I don’t think I’d like to go much narrower than the NT standard though (QNT = VTX and can lift a wheel at times if you aren’t careful)… The Monster was SNT if I recall right, and not for more padded pilots!
Chris Jeggo

Post by Chris Jeggo »

hercule wrote: 30 Jan 2023, 9:57pm .... and that main tube hasn’t got much space between it and the ground. ....
What is the ground clearance?
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

About the height of a blade of grass :D . I did look it up on the wayback machine but can't remember. You'd need to allow for the riders weight as well .
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Front Track: Monster 25.2", Vortex 29.5"
Seat Height: Monster 4.5", Vortex 7.5"
Seat Back Angle: Monster 20-37 deg, Vortex 28-44 deg
Ground Clearance: Monster 2.5", Vortex 3"
hercule

Post by hercule »

I’ll stick with my VTX then… I’d not want to go any narrower and certainly not any flatter!