A place to record lenient sentencing for motorvehicle....

fastpedaller

Re: A place to record lenient sentencing for motorvehicle....

Post by fastpedaller »

Unbelievable - The Judge needs to consider how he would feel if the victim was one of his family, or better still resign (or be sacked) because he's not fit for his duties.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

fastpedaller wrote: 17 Jan 2023, 2:13pm Unbelievable - The Judge needs to consider how he would feel if the victim was one of his family, or better still resign (or be sacked) because he's not fit for his duties.
I expect (but don't know) the Judge has followed the Sentencing Guidelines laid down and that you may be looking in the wrong direction.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Bonefishblues wrote: 17 Jan 2023, 2:22pm
fastpedaller wrote: 17 Jan 2023, 2:13pm Unbelievable - The Judge needs to consider how he would feel if the victim was one of his family, or better still resign (or be sacked) because he's not fit for his duties.
I expect (but don't know) the Judge has followed the Sentencing Guidelines laid down and that you may be looking in the wrong direction.
It must be at the most lenient end of the sentencing guidelines. It's an offence with the highest level of culpability for serious injury by dangerous driving as it's aggravated by drink driving and failure to stop. The woman concerned has been very lucky.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Reading between the lines I'd guess she's a woman with problems, alcoholism being one of them, rather than a criminal. A term in prison would run the risk of her emerging as a criminal, hence the 'lenient' sentence.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Beggars belief how the courts think this is justice.

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/ ... ce-3993030
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Southend Evening Echo 29 Jan 2023

Ubaidullah Tarakhill, of Sutton Road, Southend, was driving in Manners Way on May 27 when he did not give way to a roundabout and crashed with the cyclist, Southend Magistrates' Court heard.

The court was told the incident caused serious injuries.

Tarakhill admitted driving without due care and attention on January 11 and has been fined £200.
He must also pay a surcharge to fund victim services of £34 and costs of £110.

The 28-year-old's driving record has been endorsed with 6 points.
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

Bridgend: Jeep driver who killed cyclist gets suspended sentence

A former HGV driver has been given a nine-month suspended sentence and banned from driving for seven years for killing a cyclist on a main road.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-64939379
Richard M
Cardiff
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

tywang's post is now over here:
viewtopic.php?t=155948

Jonathan
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Now if he did consider that sort emotional stuff when sentencing, he would deserve to be sacked. Judges aren't allowed to sit on cases involving members of their own families for that very reason.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

WTAF?

One to watch here - assuming they’re found guilty you’d hope that with all the covering up the full force of the law lands on them.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

ratherbeintobago wrote: 26 Jul 2023, 5:47pm WTAF?

One to watch here - assuming they’re found guilty you’d hope that with all the covering up the full force of the law lands on them.
The case resulted in guilty pleas as noted in this thread

viewtopic.php?p=1174181#p1174181

Back in court for sentencing on Friday
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

As far as I can make out from the press reports, we won't know the full story until Friday, when prosecution and defence are to present an 'agreed narrative'. The implications of counsel and judges' remarks on the complexity of the case suggest that there's more significant detail yet to be disclosed. As far as I can tell also, the formal guilty verdict hasn't yet been returned - this too happens on Friday? - so far only the guilty pleas on all revised charges. And then, presumably, the usual delay before a further hearing for sentencing. I'm also unsure whether the sub judice rules on press comment etc still hold until Friday.
Edit - I now see that sentencing will be on August 25th (further report on todays' BBC News) -https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... l-66317438
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Bonefishblues wrote: 2 Sep 2023, 7:54pm Thoughts on this one?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-englan ... t-66686855
Some more details of the charges and sentence:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-66653094

Jonathan