Zeiss launched new super compact bino.s y'day

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pete75

Re: Zeiss launched new super compact bino.s y'day

Post by pete75 »

simonineaston wrote: 31 Jan 2023, 1:14pm I have no intention of straying from my mo of grabbing vintage bin.s when I see them cheap, however if I did stray and wanted advice re a new pair, this website is rather good.
https://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com
I bought mine after reading this review. I suppose birdwatchers need different bins to sailors though.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Zulu Eleven

Post by Zulu Eleven »

Well, after this thread got me thinking long and hard… I went and had a look at the new Zeiss mentioned (8x30 SLC).

I have to say they are very nice and very practical too. But not what I would use… so I ended up looking at the 8x40 model too. Which were also really lovely… which you would expect them to be for £1599 (£175 trade in available at the moment too)

But I regret to say that temptation got the better of me (and my wallet regrets it even more) because IMO they were still bettered both optically and in feel by the Swarovski 8.5x42 at £1675. The newer NL pure was nearly £1000 more, but even with a fairly experienced eye I could barely tell the difference (just *slightly* crisper maybe, but we’re discussing focusing on a single leaf at about 25 metres here). Sharpness wise my old zeiss are still very nearly as good (barely noticeable), but the new Swaro’s absolutely blow them away for image brightness and colour.

Make no mistake, we’re at Roll’s Royce level here, silly money TBH, but I have had my old ones for 30 years, and I’m used to using them daily (as a professional countryside access consultant I can legitimately call this a business expense, phew…)

Anyway, old and new below:
image.jpg
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Good choice!
My fave bin.s, bearing in mind I only entertain vintage models, is (are?) my Swarovski Habicht 8x40 porro prism - so pleasant to use, somehow... Came in at about £120, I think! :wink:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)