Is this a bicycle - do we need to be concern?

iandusud

Re: Is this a bicycle - do we need to be concerned?

Post by iandusud »

Jdsk wrote: 25 Jan 2023, 10:51am
iandusud wrote: 25 Jan 2023, 10:32am
bikes4two wrote: 2 Jan 2023, 8:16pm Not purely related to the subject matter, but wisper Bikes of Sevenoaks now sell DVSA Type Approved e-bikes that are true 'twist and go' (no pedalling required).

See this link here for more information.
Does this mean that the law has changed with regards to ebikes being required to pedalled when under electric assist?
I don't think so, only that they are using a different category (L1e) and Type Approval:
https://wisperbikes.com/full-throttle-option/

I'm looking forward to hearing from an expert...

Jonathan
Thank you for that clarification. You learn something new every day (well I have today).
qwerty360

Re: Is this a bicycle - do we need to be concerned?

Post by qwerty360 »

iandusud wrote: 25 Jan 2023, 3:25pm
Jdsk wrote: 25 Jan 2023, 10:51am
iandusud wrote: 25 Jan 2023, 10:32am
Does this mean that the law has changed with regards to ebikes being required to pedalled when under electric assist?
I don't think so, only that they are using a different category (L1e) and Type Approval:
https://wisperbikes.com/full-throttle-option/

I'm looking forward to hearing from an expert...

Jonathan
Thank you for that clarification. You learn something new every day (well I have today).
What they appear to be bad about mentioning is that as L1E mopeds (clearly stated) they are legally motorbikes NOT bicycles.

Hence unless something has changed, needing a provisional licence, CBT, licence plates, insurance and not being allowed on cycle lanes (source https://www.bikesure.co.uk/bikesureblog ... e-law.html)

L1E appears to be regs for electric motorbikes similar to 50cc petrol mopeds (presumably written given there isn't a direct comparison for engine size and a desire to move onto cleaner electric motors...)
hemo

Re: Is this a bicycle - do we need to be concern?

Post by hemo »

DFT have made a concession for the (250 lpm) as a sub category under the (L1e) main category, L1e is a moped category for 1000w ebikes to which the 250 lpm does not fit or answer to. The certificate though only carries the L1e category.
The 250 lpm remains an EAPC and still has the same rights of use as a bicycle , no helmet , no registration & no insurance is required.
The test/certification is under the MSVA application and is only valid for the said bike it is tested for , the test/certification is a one off for the life of the bike .
The category for the bike is only UK specific and is a means to not criminilise impaired users or those who wish to ride with a throttle.
The EAPC motor is still 250w rated & must not be propelled beyond 15.5 mph electrically.

Many people with copd/lung/breathing issues , lack of stamina due to illness etc,etc who wish to still to get out on the bike for fresh air and to be still with the family. This law now allows them to do so legally.

A sample certificate.
Test certificate image.jpg
Barrowman

Post by Barrowman »

Re the question about Police 'proving' level of drunkenness, it's one of the few areas of law where a Police officers opinion is accepted.
(Retired Police Sergeant here).
I did lock someone up for being drunk in charge of a pedal cycle when they fell off in the path of the Police Personnel Carrier I was driving.
They came to collect the bike the following afternoon and had no recollection of leaving the Pub (which was a few miles from the incident)
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

hemo wrote: 28 Jan 2023, 12:47am DFT have made a concession for the (250 lpm) as a sub category under the (L1e) main category, ........
Hi Hemo - the above is most interesting - would you mind posting a link to the source of that info please?

Thanks
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
hemo

Post by hemo »

bikes4two wrote: 31 Jan 2023, 9:41am
hemo wrote: 28 Jan 2023, 12:47am DFT have made a concession for the (250 lpm) as a sub category under the (L1e) main category, ........
Hi Hemo - the above is most interesting - would you mind posting a link to the source of that info please?

Thanks
If one searches the pedelecs forum it is their somewhere as that is where I have seen it, the man who knows the in's and out's is user @Flecc , he was the first ever poster on the forum and knows much about pedelec law as I believe he may have had a hand in the original drafting of the law concerning pedelecs or as they were then EAPC's.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

NB date.

A possible explanation, and it does come from flecc:
viewtopic.php?p=1791800#p1791800

Jonathan