Sit on tag along trailer for twins.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Salim

Sit on tag along trailer for twins.

Post by Salim »

Anyone know where to find a sit on rather than in tag along trailer for twins. Proving quite hard to track one down.
Cheers.
SimonCelsa

Re: Sit on tag along trailer for twins.

Post by SimonCelsa »

Forget the tag - along, I would seriously consider going for the real article if the budget allows:

triplet.JPG

I used a tandem for my middle 2 kids, one on the stokers seat and one on the rear rack (with home fashioned footpegs), that worked for a couple of years.
Salim

Post by Salim »

Thanks for such a quick reply.
Yeah I like that idea. I think that will work when they're a bit bigger. Ideally I'm after something like this but can't seem to find it in the UK.
Attachments
Screenshot_20230129-103540.png
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Welcome.

New or preloved or either?

I'd include eBay and Gumtree. We found our Pashley tandem trailer trike on Gumtree.

Jonathan
Salim

Post by Salim »

I'll take what I can get. No problem with Pre-loved as long as it was loved.

It's proving quite the treasure hunt.

I knew the cycling community could help point me in the right direction though.
gaz

Post by gaz »

As Jdsk mentions the no longer manufactured Pashley/Cresswell U+2 is an excellent option, if you can find one.

(Randomly selected forum pic)
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
grufty

Post by grufty »

Presumably as you want a sit-on trailer , you're not considering the Weehoo Two.
I used a Hann trailer when my son was small, but hated the "tail wagging the dog" experience. We quickly moved on to a tandem!
I agree with previous posters on the triplet/ tandem trike trailer options.
Salim

Post by Salim »

Thanks everyone. Very much appreciated.
I think the only issue with the weehoo one is the potential for arguments as only one gets to pedal. I'm gonna look up the trike recommendation. 👌🏼👍🏼
Barrowman

Post by Barrowman »

Currently bike Tandem tag along version on E Bay , item 165914254822.
Not cheap but being sold by a charity .

Have to agree, I used a tag along solo with granddaughter ,it's like an articulated lorry. ( I am more used to a sporting geometry ,this was on a Mountain Bike) So something twice as long may be an issue.

There's also a Tandem Trike (local to me) on e Bay. Buy the twins that and you can stop at home, :lol:
Last edited by Barrowman on 1 Feb 2023, 8:58am, edited 1 time in total.
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

I had one many moons ago, bought second hand off a work colleague and sold after several years of use for a profit (mine was an Adam's like in the picture). It was great fun but you need to be really confident and have good brakes. I found that flat bars worked better than drops.

If you manage to find one (I think that they stopped making them yeare ago) you will never make a quiet entry anywhere!
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
jimster99

Post by jimster99 »

You could also try to find a WeeHoo trailer (they come in single and double versions).

As a general comment, these trailer bikes do have a place but (i) if you're carrying multiple kids it can be seriously hard work (I'm a reasonably fit cyclist and I still struggle especially up hills with a 3 year old and a 7 year old on the back), (ii) you can't go everywhere a normal bike can, e.g. lots of parks/cycle paths have those annoying anti-motorbike gates that you will get completely stuck in and (iii) the trailer is on a long lever so it has a lot of leverage force, so you have to occasionally use some real hernia-inducing levels of welly to stop it toppling sideways if you get a bit of a tilt by accident.

Before getting it I was also worried about visibility for cars (seeing your bike but not the low slung trailer behind it...) , but actually vehicles tend to give you a massive berth. I also definitely avoid busy / main roads wherever possible.

I also like the idea of a tandem or even one of those cargo bikes with seating for the entire family, the pet dog and a couple of washing machines.
andy753

Post by andy753 »

Forgive me but I would exercise caution here. Some friends of ours had a nasty accident with a tag along / trailer. I think they are fine for park rides or on dedicated cycle paths but I would never ride on a road with one where there is traffic. Sorry to dampen your spirits if this was your intention...
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

andy753 wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 11:09am Forgive me but I would exercise caution here. Some friends of ours had a nasty accident with a tag along / trailer. I think they are fine for park rides or on dedicated cycle paths but I would never ride on a road with one where there is traffic. Sorry to dampen your spirits if this was your intention...
No idea what the circumstances of your friends were, but we did many happy miles on road with tagalongs. Don't see the point if you're doing park rides or dedicated cycle paths, might as well get them on their own bikes if that's the limit.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

andy753 wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 11:09am Forgive me but I would exercise caution here. Some friends of ours had a nasty accident with a tag along / trailer. I think they are fine for park rides or on dedicated cycle paths but I would never ride on a road with one where there is traffic. Sorry to dampen your spirits if this was your intention...
A friend of mine had a nasty accident in a car, that's not the reason I suggest people should use cars less.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.