I did it, flat-bar conversion

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Ciminera

I did it, flat-bar conversion

Post by Ciminera »

After picking up my dawes horizon in june last year and having in mind to switch out the drops from the off... I've finally got round to doing it today. Spent the past couple of weeks gathering bits and bobs for it, and all in it's cost me about £55 which I'm pretty pleased about for the result.

here's the before, which actually served me well last year and gained me a good few miles and really got me back into cycling to be fair. Just recently changed the saddle as well from the super flabby original selle one to this specialized toupe which I was told is great for all day comfort... we'll see anyway :lol: failing that, I'll eventually plump for a brooks I imagine

stripping down (excuse the messy garage, lot of stuff waiting for a tip run :lol: )

new bars offered up nicely.

all the new bits fitted. shimano altus canti levers and altus 3x7 trigger shifters. all new cables as well.

looks a bit strange now, but I'll get used to it. I did think about changing the stem for a longer one to make up for the shorter reach but the current one was 100mm reach anyway and thought I'd try it and see first. needn't have worried, the riding position is perfect for where I wanted it.

shoutout to the ritchey wbs ergo truegrip foamies... really nice in the hand. time will tell on comfort over distance, and overall longevity. I grabbed them based on recommendation by alee denham (cyclingabout)

what you think folks? anyone else got a horizon?
simonineaston

Re: I did it, flat-bar conversion

Post by simonineaston »

Looks nice. In fact, from the photos at least, it looks nicer than it did before. I think you're right about that saddle, though... :wink:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
TheBomber

Post by TheBomber »

simonineaston wrote: 31 Jan 2023, 5:50am I think you're right about that saddle, though... :wink:
Not sure if you realise that is almost an exact quote from an ancient Yellow Pages ad Simon?

To the OP - you did well bring that all in for that budget - as you know there are a lot of parts involved. Have you already factored in Ebaying the bits you’ve removed? I think the reason the bars feel fine despite the shorter reach is because of the extra width. If it was mine I’d be cutting those gear cables shorter than that - which is much better than telling you I’d be leaving them longer than that!
NickJP

Post by NickJP »

Over the past decade or so I've converted about half a dozen of my wife's bikes from drop to flat handlebars. She'd been riding drops for almost 40 years, but she has pretty small hands and conventional drop bar brake levers had been getting quite hard for her to use easily - braking from the tops had become pretty much a non-event.

This is the most recent conversion - a Trek Domane LT+ e-bike.
PXL_20220127_031036929.jpg
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Keep all the removed bits - It's then an easy swap around if you fancy a change as all the cables are correct length etc.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Ten minutes later I'm still waiting for the pictures to downoad.
I should coco.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Nice job! The only thing I don't like is those brake levers are those ones where there is no slot in the lever body or barrel adjuster so you have to unclamp the cable to fit/remove it. Or is it those ones where if you can get enough cable slack the whole barrell adjuster pulls out leaving a hex shaped hole big enough for the cable head to pass through? Apart from that, great!
Ciminera

Post by Ciminera »

simonineaston wrote: 31 Jan 2023, 5:50am Looks nice. In fact, from the photos at least, it looks nicer than it did before. I think you're right about that saddle, though... :wink:
Thanks, yeah I love the look although the front wheel looks awfully long now haha.

What do you mean about the saddle? That it'll be comfy or it'll get swapped again
Ciminera

Post by Ciminera »

TheBomber wrote: 31 Jan 2023, 8:06am
To the OP - you did well bring that all in for that budget - as you know there are a lot of parts involved. Have you already factored in Ebaying the bits you’ve removed? I think the reason the bars feel fine despite the shorter reach is because of the extra width. If it was mine I’d be cutting those gear cables shorter than that - which is much better than telling you I’d be leaving them longer than that!
Yeah to be fair I hadn't noticed owing only to a short test ride and then locking him up in the garage but now you've said it.

I had been of a mind to just leave everything at the length it was in case I wanted to swap them back, and was weary of cutting too short, but then I did cut about 1/3 off the brake cables.

Also no I hadn't factored in sale of old parts I was of a mind to begin my very own "parts bin". Us the ITM bars are quite lovely on the wall.
Ciminera

Post by Ciminera »

gregoryoftours wrote: 31 Jan 2023, 9:07pm Nice job! The only thing I don't like is those brake levers are those ones where there is no slot in the lever body or barrel adjuster so you have to unclamp the cable to fit/remove it. Or is it those ones where if you can get enough cable slack the whole barrell adjuster pulls out leaving a hex shaped hole big enough for the cable head to pass through? Apart from that, great!
The cable passed through just fine tbh and then just slot the nubbin into the slot
PH

Post by PH »

Looks good, though the proof is in the riding.
I'm now entirely on flat bars, I've done a couple of conversions over the years, but my present fleet were all built that way from the start. Although I prefer flats, I still like to vary the hand position, I wouldn't fancy more than an hour without the option to do that, I use bar ends, though there's plenty of choice. I might also, budget permitting, have opted for V brakes, if you don't get on with the cantis that's still an easy swap, though you'd need new levers.
Enjoy the ride.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Each to what they prefer and finds suits their needs … I like the variety of hand positions offered by drops but do wonder whether flats plus bar ends might also work for me.

Please, I’d be really interested to know what particular parts were used for the conversion and how the OP knew what would be compatible with what.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
PH

Post by PH »

Carlton green wrote: 1 Feb 2023, 9:42am Each to what they prefer and finds suits their needs …
I think a large part of it is simply what you're used to. If you've always ridden X then Y will feel wrong, where that wrong is really just something different and like many things just takes some getting used to.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

PH wrote: 1 Feb 2023, 10:09am
Carlton green wrote: 1 Feb 2023, 9:42am Each to what they prefer and finds suits their needs …
I think a large part of it is simply what you're used to. If you've always ridden X then Y will feel wrong, where that wrong is really just something different and like many things just takes some getting used to.
Yes, a lot of truth to that. I’ve flat bars on one of my bikes - hardly use that one - and have had them on other bikes too, but for me flats have never been as comfortable as drops. That said I’ve an open mind about alternatives to drops and to using bar ends.

Whatever, I’m interested in both what other people use and how parts are selected to suit compatibility and functionality.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Bar ends on my flat bar bike and I've seen a couple of guys with clip-on aero bars for a more aero position.
Sometimes wish my drop bar bike had a high wide bar just for more upright comfort cruising.
You'll never know if you don't try it.