TD2 vs XD2 breakages.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
pwa

Re: Cranks breaking - irrational fear of death?

Post by pwa »

I have had a couple of ally seatposts snap, and neither occasion resulted in a fall or injury. I suggest that in the unlikely event of a TD/XD2 arm snapping, you will probably still get away without serious injury. I once had a pedal axle snap, but it gave way in slow motion and allowed me a second or two to get my weight firmly on the saddle so that I didn't fall. We have those Spa cranks on three bikes and haven't had a problem with any of them. The version with all five bolts visible is the easiest to fit new rings to. But apart from that, they both look fine and seem reliable.
LancsGirl

Post by LancsGirl »

Some interesting comments. Thanks.
drossall

Post by drossall »

I've said this before, but I've broken a number of cranks over the decades, usually at the pedal eye. I've also ripped a number of pedals out of the crank, which has much the same effect. One of those even happened on Zwift. And no, I am not noted as a strong rider.

Whilst a physics student, many years ago, I broke a Zeus crank in a three-up. Luckily, I was back rider at the time. My supervisor, who had a passing interest in bikes as a utility rider, saw my bruises and scrapes. He was fascinated by the idea of a human being able to do that to a crank, and shipped me off to a colleague in mechanical engineering to have the other one tested. The colleague duly did dye testing for cracks, and so on, and gave it a clean bill of health. It failed less than a year later, approaching some lights, but this time I knew the signs.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I've never worried about broken cranks until the post from LancsGirl.
My biggest fear is the handlebars breaking. I regularly check for cracks to be sure.
I think the fear is from the time the steerer came loose and I lost control. I came to a stop without any harm but I've never forgotten the feeling of panic.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

People judge the risk of something happening, and it's consequences, according to how easily it springs to mind, not the true probability. It's called the Availability Heuristic, and it's why people think they're more likely to die in something like a plane crash or terrorist attack that gets plastered all over the media than from smoking, poor diet, or lack of exercise etc.

I check my cranks for cracks when I have the pedals out because I've had a crank break, but I don't bother checking the fork crown even though it and I have been for a trip over the bonnet of a car.

Mine failed when I was humming along a bit, I'd just got out of the saddle to give it some stick and maintain my pace as the gradient changed. The world disappeared from under my right foot, and I finished up a few yards from the bike, with the pedal still on my foot.

The pedal which had already failed earlier wasn't catastrophic, the spindle bent after the crack had gone about 60% of the way through, and I nursed it the rest ot the way home.

This is another pedal which wasn't a catastrophic failure either:
Union_Pedal.jpg
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
ANTONISH

Re: TD2 vs XD2 breakages.

Post by ANTONISH »

I've been using both types of these cranks for several years I've not had any problems with them.

I broke a campag lh crank once (out of the saddle as it happens) - an interesting experience but I didn't come near to falling off.
I probably grounded the pedal at some point - there was a crack which had obviously developed over time.

I like to use pedal washers these days as there is an inevitable gouging effect when tightening a pedal without them.
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

Most people seem to die in bed.
As I intend to live forever,
I must avoid ever going to bed again !

But if we all lived forever, there would be no need for sex. :(
Barrowman

Post by Barrowman »

I believe statistically you are most likely to die at about 3am in bed.
That's what I used to remember when working nights.
Is it time to invest in some lights and ride away in the small hours ?? :D :lol:
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Barrowman wrote: 30 Jan 2023, 3:43pm I believe statistically you are most likely to die at about 3am in bed.
Is it time to invest in some lights and ride away in the small hours ?? :D :lol:
..is this a coincidence? That's usually the time I talk in my sleep, and occasionally call out the names of past lovers.
It's time to go :-)
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

Can I add bollards in the middle of a Spanish cycle path as things to watch out for. The bottom bracket was fine when I took off, not so much when I landed.
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

cycle tramp wrote: 30 Jan 2023, 3:59pm
Barrowman wrote: 30 Jan 2023, 3:43pm I believe statistically you are most likely to die at about 3am in bed.
..is this a coincidence? That's usually the time I talk in my sleep, and occasionally call out the names of past lovers.
Calling out or whispering the wrong name at the wrong time is a very hazardous enterprise !

My advice is to set your alarm to 02.58 in the interests of marital harmony / self preservation.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

jimlews wrote: 30 Jan 2023, 3:23pm Most people seem to die in bed.
As I intend to live forever,
I must avoid ever going to bed again !

But if we all lived forever, there would be no need for sex. :(
Don't do that either likely to die doing that or going for a no2!
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

I had a Stonglight crank problem about 30 years ago. I'd ridden using fixed wheel for a few years and that may or may not be a factor. I gave the bike a good wash and paid particular attention to polishing the cranks, which were all lovely and shiny :lol:
The next day I went on a ride and had only gone about 400 yards from home when I stopped to post a latter in the PO box. As I eased the front wheel up the kerb to go across to the post box, I noticed a hair on the R crank, and on trying to remove it I found it to be a crack!
So they can be invisible one day and appear very quickly after. I did put some weight on it but it didn't yield. Of course I didn't trust it for a ride.
I don't think it was the metal polish that caused it either :roll:
mig

Post by mig »

have had two cranks and one fork (steerer) break in action.

whilst none of these are great news - the fork one was a much more action packed incident than either of the two cranks!! :shock:
scottg

Post by scottg »

531colin wrote: 28 Jan 2023, 5:13pm I suggest its completely irrational to worry about things like crank failure......instead, go for a nice calming bike ride.[snip].
I had a crank crack at the pedal eye, found it whilst washing the bike.
A clean bike is a safe bike. :)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++