Windproof winter jackets are no good for cycling. Discuss.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Ron

Re: Windproof winter jackets are no good for cycling. Discuss.

Post by Ron »

cycle tramp wrote: 30 Jan 2023, 2:56pm
Ron wrote: 30 Jan 2023, 2:36pm Indeed.
I doubt if I'd do any winter cycling if I didn't have windproof jacket and trousers.
Ah, that's interesting.. what kind of cycling do you do, where do you do it and for how long?
Utility and leisure cycling on rural roads in northern Scotland, usually just for a couple of hours in winter. Cycling is not much different from hillwalking where waterproof/windproof gear is considered to be normal wear.
ed.lazda

Post by ed.lazda »

cycle tramp wrote: 31 Jan 2023, 4:09pm Has anyone mentioned tweed yet?
No, but if I could find a tweed jacket with a design suitable for cycling, I might be tempted :lol:
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

The Norfolk Jacket, worn with breeches, was the cycling ensemble during the first wave, apart from club bods who wore a quasi-military tunic, and is still worn by determined retro-cyclists.

In short, there is a wealth of experience to draw upon, most of it I suspect highlighting that tweed is hot and sweaty during even mild exertion. Mind you, it does look damned smart.

The whole point of the Norfolk Jacket is that it has pleats in the back to allow good arm movement without pulling across the shoulders, originally for shooting, which makes it ideal for cycling. Also, the belt helps cut down on unwelcome draughts.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

When I was in my early teens I had a Ventile anorak. Quite common back then, Khaki exterior, yellow interior. It was waterproof, windproof yet very breathable. Brilliant stuff but is horrendously expensive these days, back then it must have been cheap else I wouldn't have got it.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I have a Ventile anorak, a modern copy of the Greenspot. Bought it maybe ten years ago, when they were only just beginning to be trendy and expensive. Think I paid about £150 for it. It's good, it is totally waterproof and very breathable. It is not terribly warm. It is fine for cycling in if you're commuting or on a day ride, and you're sure the weather's not going to warm up too much. You can't really take it off and carry it with you – rolled up, it takes almost a whole pannier. The fabric also becomes rather stiff when wet. Mine has wonderful pockets, but that's obviously a feature of design not fabric.

I've just found a blog apparently debunking Ventile: https://welldresseddad.com/2017/05/20/v ... -tell-you/
I've only just started reading so it might be bunkum itself, or it might not.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Having read the blog, looked at the label on my Ventile coat and checked on the Ventile website, here's my take:

First off, and least relevantly, place of manufacturer: the label on mine doesn't mention one for the fabric. The coat was made in Scotland, but no info about the fabric itself.

More importantly, the DWR: I do remember when I got mine, they talked about how the fibres swell and that's what makes it waterproof. I can't remember if there was any mention or not about a DWR. There's nothing either way on the label. In any case, a DWR is only a water repellant surface, not waterproofing. My experience of wearing the coat in the rain suggests fibre-swelling is the waterproofing mechanism, regardless of a DWR or not. This isn't necessarily a good thing – as I said, it does get very stiff when wet.

Ventile's own website says:
After dyeing, the fabric is finally treated with a durable water repellency finish (DWR) on both sides of the fabric for added performance and water resistance.
https://ventile.co.uk/fabric/
So I think we can take it there is a DWR, though we don't know what exactly it is; just as we don't for the vast majority of fabrics.

And he didn't even mention the environmental harm of growing cotton!
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

And as the thread is supposed to be about windproof jackets, not waterproof ones – yes, it is!
softlips

Post by softlips »

I've found Castelli Perfetto to be one the most versatile cycling clothing items I have. Windproof and showerproof without being too warm.
Golflad

Post by Golflad »

Just bought Hi-Viz Mountain Warehouse Windproof and Waterproof jacket. Absolutely brilliant. Does what it says on the box.
ed.lazda

Post by ed.lazda »

softlips wrote: 3 Feb 2023, 11:42am ... Castelli Perfetto ... . Windproof and showerproof without being too warm.
I also have a Perfetto and I agree. The problem for me is that it doesn't let sweat escape as much as I think it needs to, so I get cold quickly at the cafe or puncture stop.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

ed.lazda wrote: 3 Feb 2023, 2:19pm The problem for me is that it doesn't let sweat escape as much as I think it needs to, so I get cold quickly at the cafe or puncture stop.
As someone said back on p1:
mattheus wrote: 20 Jan 2023, 3:55pm The eskimos have a saying:
"You sweat, you die."