Stirling, Falkirk area.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Golflad

Stirling, Falkirk area.

Post by Golflad »

My wife and I are going to stay at a Premier around Stirling. Any tips for a proposed ride to see Falkirk Wheel and The Kelpies. Booked in at Bowtrees Premier. Thanks.
axel_knutt

Re: Stirling, Falkirk area.

Post by axel_knutt »

When I was up there (2008) I wanted to see the Falkirk wheel but I couldn't find any information about how to get to it other than via the motorway, so I missed it.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
donald.stewart.nj

Post by donald.stewart.nj »

I cycled from Edinburgh Quay along the towpath right to the Wheel. The Kelpies are nearby on another towpath.

Get the inside tour of Kelpies. It gives a whole different perspective of it. A nighttime stop there is so cool.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
mikeonabike

Post by mikeonabike »

From Stirling you could head SW across the Campsies to the Carron reservoir and then drop down to the canal near Kilsyth. From there an easy ride on the towpath to the Wheel, and then a bit further on to the Kelpies.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

use cycle.travel

stirling.JPG

I think that route goes via the Kelpies. I have not ridden the route personally but it seems fairly easy.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Golflad wrote: 2 Feb 2023, 11:19am My wife and I are going to stay at a Premier around Stirling. Any tips for a proposed ride to see Falkirk Wheel and The Kelpies. Booked in at Bowtrees Premier. Thanks.
NCN76 wends its roundabout way from Stirling to Falkirk, which should be fine if you're not in a hurry.
We didn't go to Stirling on our summer tour but left Falkirk (having got there from Kincardine) vis the canal route, which is really very nice riding.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Golflad

Post by Golflad »

Thanks all. Very useful.