Solar Powered Navigation

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
iandusud

Solar Powered Navigation

Post by iandusud »

I would like to use a GPS navigation device for our next tour on the tandem (too much faffing around with maps/phone on last tour). However I don't want another device to keep charged alongside our two phones, which we keep charged with a powerbank that we charge up where we can. I was looking at the comparison of such devices in the latest issue of Cycle magazine and was impressed with the idea of the Garmin Edge Solar until I saw the price! However it got me thinking. Has anyone installed a solar panel on the top of their bar bag to keep their cycle computer topped up? Can these computers be charged and used simultaneously?
rareposter

Re: Solar Powered Navigation

Post by rareposter »

iandusud wrote: 2 Feb 2023, 9:06am Has anyone installed a solar panel on the top of their bar bag to keep their cycle computer topped up? Can these computers be charged and used simultaneously?
They need a LOT of sunlight to make much difference and generally phones, GPS etc much prefer a steady current - they don't charge well off dynamos or solar. You're better off using solar/dynamo to trickle-charge battery packs and then using the battery pack to charge the device.

The 1040 Solar is a bit different, it's using built in panels as a top up. Even if you've got great sunlight, it still won't go on indefinitely, it will need a proper charge from a plug in power source at some point.
Last edited by rareposter on 2 Feb 2023, 10:01am, edited 1 time in total.
gcogger

Post by gcogger »

From what I've seen, the 1040 Solar is about gaining a slight improvement to battery life, rather than being able to run off solar power alone. I wouldn't buy one for your purpose.
I agree that using a large solar panel to charge battery packs is probably the best option - I've seen people put them on top of the rear rack, if you have one.
Having said that, something like the Garmin devices won't put too much drain on your battery packs, as their batteries tend to be much lower capacity than a phone (1000-1900mAh for the '30' series).
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

My Elemnt Bolt certainly works while charging - though it will happily last a 12-hour day on a single charge, so the only times I've had to charge it while riding were when I forgot to plug it in the night before (oops!).
As gcogger says, a GPS unit won't add much to the load on your battery pack. For example my phone has a 5000 mAh battery while the Bolt has 1500mAh. And if you were previously using your phone for navigation, you'll find that its battery will drain noticeably more slowly now that it's not having to do that job, so less of the battery pack's supply will be needed to top the phone up.
Incidentally, pairing the GPS device to your phone and/or external sensors can make a significant difference to its battery drain rate, so it's best to keep it un-paired while you're on the road.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Psamathe posted about experiences:
search.php?keywords=psamathe+solar+panel

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I haven't tried a recent solar panel. The one I played with on my rucksack 20y ago wasn't up to the job. And I now have a charging system that works for us and all of our devices.

"Charging on tour":
viewtopic.php?t=149863
Jdsk wrote: 20 Feb 2022, 5:30pm I fitted a B+M lamp with a USB output.

There's a lot that's obvious but here's what I wish that I'd known beforehand.

1 That B+M lamp isn't reliable. I've had two failures.

2 A 16,000 mA h USB battery pack can charge all of our devices for several days. (Two iPhones, Garmin Edge 1000, audio headbands, Kindles.) Having two output sockets can help.

3 The Garmin is a lot happier charging from the battery pack than from the dynamo.

And one observation from elsewhere in the forum:

4 If you have two battery packs then one can be charged while the other is being used.
Jonathan
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Thanks for all the replies. I had thought about charging a powerbank from the solar panel, rather than directly charging the GPS unit, but it strikes me as silly to charge a battery to charge a battery, rather than just charging a battery if you see what I mean! However it might be the simplest solution. So the next question which GPS unit to go for. I'm only interested in navigation, not connecting power meter, HRM, doing Strava segments... Any recommendations?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I'd start that decision with:

• 'phone or dedicated device?

• How big a screen do you want?

• Do you want turn by turn notification?

• Any price limit?

Jonathan
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

iandusud wrote: 2 Feb 2023, 5:24pm So the next question which GPS unit to go for. I'm only interested in navigation, not connecting power meter, HRM, doing Strava segments... Any recommendations?
The normal response to this question is the Garmin Edge Explore 2. There are various GPS threads on here which discuss it and an independent review here:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2022/07/gar ... eview.html

I know it seems counterintuitive charging a battery pack to then charge a GPS but many devices like phones and GPS do not do well off small intermittent power input, they really need a steady strong current from a battery pack or mains.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Jdsk wrote: 2 Feb 2023, 5:29pm I'd start that decision with:

• 'phone or dedicated device?

• How big a screen do you want?

• Do you want turn by turn notification?

• Any price limit?

Jonathan
My priorities would be: accurate navigation with turn by turn notification. Good battery life. Price is definitely a consideration but, within reason the other considerations are more important.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

rareposter wrote: 2 Feb 2023, 5:30pm
iandusud wrote: 2 Feb 2023, 5:24pm So the next question which GPS unit to go for. I'm only interested in navigation, not connecting power meter, HRM, doing Strava segments... Any recommendations?
The normal response to this question is the Garmin Edge Explore 2. There are various GPS threads on here which discuss it and an independent review here:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2022/07/gar ... eview.html

I know it seems counterintuitive charging a battery pack to then charge a GPS but many devices like phones and GPS do not do well off small intermittent power input, they really need a steady strong current from a battery pack or mains.
Thanks for the links. The Garmin Edge 2 Explore seems to have far more features than I want or need, but that's so often the way with tech these days.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

rareposter wrote: 2 Feb 2023, 5:30pm
The normal response to this question is the Garmin Edge Explore 2.
That's a response; I wouldn't say it's necessarily the 'normal' one unless you're wedded to Garmin devices. The Wahoo Elemnt Roam and Hammerhead Karoo are also popular for this purpose. Given the OP's requirements (solar panels aside) I'd say the Elemnt Roam 2 might be best suited. As that grouptest in the Cycling UK magazine puts it, "The operation feels simpler than other units, concentrating on the key functions. Physical buttons rather than touchscreen make the Roam 2 practical in all weathers. Mapping and navigation are clear and intuitive." Summary: "Simple and easy to use with clear navigation."
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Elephant in the room? Why take two phones? Surely the people who contact you on holiday will be few so why not use one number?
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

mattsccm wrote: 3 Feb 2023, 8:49pm Elephant in the room? Why take two phones? Surely the people who contact you on holiday will be few so why not use one number?
I agree but my wife doesn't :wink: