Member group avoiding VAT as CUK is charity

Anything relating to the clubs associated with Cycling UK
pedals2slowly

Member group avoiding VAT as CUK is charity

Post by pedals2slowly »

We want to fund an active travel feasibility study (£15K)
As a CUK member group can we avoid paying VAT on that, being part of CUK, a charity?
gaz

Re: Member group avoiding VAT as CUK is charity

Post by gaz »

Short answer, no.

MGs operate as part of regional subsidary Limited companies, set up in 1973 to keep MG activities below VAT registration thresholds. Tthe 2012 MG handbook explains in brief, a 'Ctrl f' search for 'VAT' will tell you more.
The effect of this arrangement is that most Groups are spared a great deal of time-consuming figure work. Groups do not have to increase their charges to members to cover the tax but cannot claim relief for any VAT that they may pay on goods and services bought.
I'd suggest that you contact National Office for guidance.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
pedals2slowly

Post by pedals2slowly »

Yes that makes sense.
I'll see if HQ will help us out .......
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

Just to add: it's a common misconception that charities don't pay VAT. In the vast majority of cases they do. There is a very small list of goods and services that charities can pay reduced or zero rate VAT on:
https://www.gov.uk/vat-charities/what-q ... for-relief
Commissioning consultancy work is not on that list.

The subsidiary companies were set up long before CTC became a charity. As Gaz says, their purpose was to keep member groups below the VAT thresholds for businesses.

Where being a charity could come in useful is that the company you're buying from could choose to give you a discounted rate. They can then treat that discount as charitable giving for tax purposes - effectively they're donating some (not all) of their employees' time for free. (This is nothing to do with VAT - it's about corporation tax.) However that would only work in this case if Cycling UK centrally commissioned the work, as they are the charity and the consultancy was prepared to give them a special rate. Us member groups are in subsidiary companies that just happen to be wholly-owned by a charity, we're not charities ourselves. So it's still worth talking to HQ, just not about the VAT.
PH

Post by PH »

AndyK wrote: 8 Feb 2023, 12:56am Just to add: it's a common misconception that charities don't pay VAT. In the vast majority of cases they do.
While this is certainly correct, I don't think it's the whole picture.
For a VAT registered business, the VAT paid on the study pedals2slowly is proposing would be offset against their VAT liability. In effect, although they would pay it, it would be returned either as a reduced liability or rebate. Admittedly I don't know anything about charity accounting and if/how it differs. I'm guessing, the net cost for any VAT registered organisation would be less the VAT.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

PH wrote: 8 Feb 2023, 8:16am
AndyK wrote: 8 Feb 2023, 12:56am Just to add: it's a common misconception that charities don't pay VAT. In the vast majority of cases they do.
While this is certainly correct, I don't think it's the whole picture.
For a VAT registered business, the VAT paid on the study pedals2slowly is proposing would be offset against their VAT liability. In effect, although they would pay it, it would be returned either as a reduced liability or rebate. Admittedly I don't know anything about charity accounting and if/how it differs. I'm guessing, the net cost for any VAT registered organisation would be less the VAT.
That's right, basically. If you're a VAT-registered business, you pay "input VAT" to your supplier. You then collect "output VAT" from your customers when you sell stuff to them. You deduct the input VAT (tax you've already paid) from the output VAT (tax money you've collected from others) and the difference is what you have to hand over to HMRC.

The only difference for a VAT-registered charity is that there is a small number of things that it can buy from a supplier and pay a lower rate of input VAT on them than a commercial business would - in some cases, a zero rate. Consultancy is not one of those things.

If a business or charity is below the VAT threshold and isn't VAT registered, they have to pay VAT to their suppliers where it's due, but they can't claim that back in any way. Essentially they're just the same as any individual punter buying stuff. Again there is no special exemption for charities.
pedals2slowly

Post by pedals2slowly »

Excellent replies and nobody hijacking the thread!