Columbia, Worksop, England.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
guitarpete247

Columbia, Worksop, England.

Post by guitarpete247 »

Does anyone else have a Columbia, Worksop bike. I bought mine as bare frame in 1982 from H.O. Smiths of Copley Road, Doncaster. I used my previous bike a Puch Prima 12 as donor but have replaced everthing except the front hub since then.

How do I add a photo?
snibgo

Re: Columbia, Worksop, England.

Post by snibgo »

To add photos, write your post then scroll down that page to a tab "Upload attachment". Then browse to the file on your computer.

There is an upper limit on the size, but I forget what.
guitarpete247

Post by guitarpete247 »

Hopefully here is a photo of my Columbia 8) .
Columbia 1.jpg
almort2011

Post by almort2011 »

Hi, I've just picked up a Columbia frame today and found this forum when I was trying to find more details.

Below should be the photo if I've uploaded correctly :shock:

Looking forward to getting it back on the road!
Attachments
columbia 531c
columbia 531c
Deckie

Post by Deckie »

I remember going to Columbia in Worksop with my Dad's cousin when he was ordering a frame, that would be late 1980's. He had driven down from Perth, we only lived about 15 miles away. Lovely looking frames, his was sprayed to match his car :?

He was a very keen club cyclist but retired from cycling a couple of years ago.
Richard & Joules JoGLE for Marie Curie - 14 to 28 May 2010
http://www.richardjoulesjogle.blogspot.com
speedsixdave

Post by speedsixdave »

A bit of Google suggests that Colombia cycles were made by some ex-employees of Carlton following the closure of that factory by Raleigh in 1981.

My old headmaster had two, both 531 touring bikes, built in the early to mid 1980s. They were very nice, dark brown or black with lug lining. The one he rode mostly was well fitted out for the time, with cantilever brakes and bosses for a Blackburn lowrider. They were both very well used and had the natural wear patterns of a high-mileage bike. I remember a parent suggesting that for a retirement present 'perhaps we should get him a new bike'. I'll bet the Columbia is still giving good service 25 years later!
Big wheels good, small wheels better.
Two saddles best!
pete75

Post by pete75 »

If you wnat to find out a lot about Columbia ring Dave Marsh at the Universal Cycle Centre in Maltby 01709 813089
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
elzorillo

Post by elzorillo »

I had a 531 Mtb built mid 80's by Columbia. Had it powder coated pink at the time.

I remember persuading the guy to put in a wishbone rear seatstay (his first and probably only). He brazed a 2p piece into the hole above the wheel under the U so as not to collect mud up the tube.

Wish I still had that bike :( It was robbed from me.. ok I pawned it and the ****** wouldn't let me have it back as it was too nice a bike!!!
retro_vélo

Post by retro_vélo »

I have a Columbia Lo Pro with curved seat and top tubes built from Reynolds 531. It is fillet brazed and has some of the most radical geometry I have ever seen on a bike frame. I can not find a frame number on it with the only stamping on the 'Reynolds' drop outs. I plan to retain the original blue/white fade paintwork.

I will add piccies once I have reduced the file size.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Hello and greetings from Australia!

I know this thread is 10 years old, but you never know who might stumble across it (as I just did) in the future. Yes, info on Worksop Columbia bicycles is scarce to non-existent. I know no more than has already been stated here.... they were made for a time by ex-Carlton craftsmen (indeed my Columbia has 'Craftsman Built' written on it at the top of the downtube. And as with the few Columbia photos I have seen all the .logos have been hand painted.

I saved my bike from a fixie project (derailleur hanger still intact!) perhaps a decade ago. I then bought a Norco Picante (horrible looking aluminium thing, but it WAS light) with a Dura Ace 7400 groupset and transferred that to the Columbia. I built up new 700c rims on 7400 hubs to keep everything matching. I GUESS it was built in 1989? Frame # 890717. Frame is 531, fillet brazed with mounting points for 2 bidons, downtube shifters and front rack as well as brazed on stays for the rear brake and derailleur cables. I love it to bits. Pics attached.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Good frames
Neil

Post by Neil »

Pics of my Columbia as per earlier post
Attachments
IMG_8529 (Medium).JPG
IMG_8528 (Medium).JPG
IMG_8527 (Medium).JPG
IMG_8525 (Medium).JPG
IMG_8524 (Medium).JPG
Neil

Post by Neil »

a couple more, not sure why some are sideways!
Attachments
IMG_8531 (Medium).JPG
IMG_8530 (Medium).JPG
DaveB

Post by DaveB »

Hi All
Stumbled across this post. When I was 18, I bought a frame from Columbia. I saw an advert in the back of Freewheel magazine (from memory). They offered a custom build service. I went up to the workshop in Worksop, where I was measured up. Can't remember too much about it now, it was 36 years ago (1988). A few weeks later I picked up a 753 frame with shot in back stays, chain peg, double water bottle bosses. Originally red, I had it resprayed in the 90's. Used it to ride End to End in 1989. Havn't ridden on it for over 20 years. Now ride a Giant TCR. It now is hanging on my wall to remind me of days gone by when frames were certainly more forgiving to ride.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

A dozen builders were eased out of Carlton by a take over ,and they used monies to set up own firms eg Rick Powell, Dave Marsh ,Edisons ,Columbia, etc.A bke for life.