How close do you ride to each other

Anything relating to the clubs associated with Cycling UK
Nearholmer

Re: How close do you ride to each other

Post by Nearholmer »

No time to look at the scenery if you're trying to hold tight formation!
One of the reasons I found it tedious.

But, a lot of people really get a buzz out of riding like that, and if you watch a good group doing it it does look rather magic, the group becomes a single organism, so I won’t knock it.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Of course we usually put an extra bit of chaos into the mix when out with Chester CTC as we're almost always riding a tandem (my friend in Chester can no longer ride solo due to deteriorating vision so I mostly pilot for her on the tandem, but I do occasionally ride out with them solo).
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

A great thing about cycling is its versatility. The bike can be used in all sorts of ways, and enjoyed in them all.
I like to be able to trickle past the crawling traffic to fill my panniers with groceries, or visit easily a series of shops.
I enjoy a quiet ride alone through the lanes, seeing the lovely British countryside. I do my best thinking then.
I enjoy carrying my camp on my bike like a snail, on a multiday tour.
I am exhilarated by hurtling along in a tight bunch, concentrating hard on the wheel in front, part of a larger organism, like a goose in a skein, and by sharing our efforts, going faster than alone. I enjoy the way the group leans one way and then the other through the bends, moving as one.
All these are available to any cyclist, and we should not be prescribing how cycling should be done.
That said, I remember one rider on a club run whose bike made a dreadful noise every time he pushed one pedal.
This was useful because he was also an erratic rider and you could hear him coming.
Last edited by Mike Sales on 15 Dec 2023, 10:11am, edited 3 times in total.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
tenbikes

Post by tenbikes »

Where I ride the distance is measured in miles !
peterb

Post by peterb »

Before moving to a new less populous area of the country I was a member of a large long established club and used to riding in relatively tight formation club groups. We were fortunate in having quite an number of 'old school' riders to pass on their knowledge, and the availability of a traffic free circuit to practice basic group riding skills (the only time problems might arise were when inexperienced new members hadn't taken part in such training - one had to be constantly aware of this, and take them under one's wing).
However, after moving I sought out local cycling groups. Initially I rode with the local British Cycling FLAB sponsored group for leisure and new inexperienced cyclists but had to stop because of the lack of instruction and discipline in rider spacing and positioning. The autocratic leader of the group, whilst being well intentioned and eager to encourage new riders, apparently had very little experience of group riding and the group would often stretch out in single file to occupy an inordinate length of road. I stopped riding with them as this often resulted in potentially dangerous situations in traffic, with impatient drivers taking risks to overtake. I eventually managed to find the small local club I now ride with, the group usually two abreast and fairly closely spaced - 12" or so.
(Sadly perhaps, the FLAB group has ceased to be, a new leader not coming forward after the first one stood down).
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Normal club members? Right on their wheel with maybe a small sideways adjustment which gives a touch more room to brake. People I don't know. Bloody miles back.
I blame the internet. As a teenager I rode by myself then joined the club. Was taught to ride in a group, call or signal obstacles and when and how to single out. Newer, modern riders learn from the web and watching telly. They generally need some polite instruction when they join a club ride.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

mattsccm wrote: 17 Dec 2023, 9:22pm ...
I blame the internet. As a teenager I rode by myself then joined the club. Was taught to ride in a group, call or signal obstacles and when and how to single out. Newer, modern riders learn from the web and watching telly. They generally need some polite instruction when they join a club ride.
YES! Riders turn up assuming that as they've read some road.cc articles and watched some videos, they know it all.
(It's even worse if they turn up and can easily keep up with the group they've chosen - then they instantly become group-riding experts!)

Now we have whining on social media from riders who rode with a club and someone had the nerve to tell them they were doing something wrong :O

Post by 853 »

Between 2cm and 2m, depending on the rider in front!

I started club cycling, and racing, nearly 40 yrs ago, and rode tightly behind some good riders including an ex pro and a reigning British time-trial champion. Nowadays I see a lot of bad riding, and have learnt to watch the cyclist in front for a while before deciding how close I'll get
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

It depends an awful lot on the group, the purpose of the ride, how fast, and other things which we have no idea about.

A club ride, or a group of trainees who are required to stay together, is completely different from a led ride, which may include beginners, returning cyclists, people who have never before been on an organised ride, etc. A led ride is yet again different from a Critical Mass or protest ride.

What are they trying to depict? I would guess not a sporty image of cycling?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom