West Highland Railway extra bike space

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Mr.Benton

Re: West Highland Railway extra bike space

Post by Mr.Benton »

Scotrail have announced some improvements to the Highland explorer train service. They now go to Mallaig and the fares have been reduced.

https://www.scotrail.co.uk/about-scotra ... and-locals

Good news for those of us planning tours in Scotland.
AlanInBangor

Post by AlanInBangor »

Good news indeed. Is this is in addition to the Oban service, rather than reallocating the bike carriage?
Mr.Benton

Post by Mr.Benton »

AlanInBangor wrote: 6 Feb 2023, 9:46am Good news indeed. Is this is in addition to the Oban service, rather than reallocating the bike carriage?
Good question. There is nothing mentioned about the Oban service in the press release. I have emailed Scotrail for clarification.
PH

Post by PH »

Mr.Benton wrote: 4 Feb 2023, 5:15pm Scotrail have announced some improvements to the Highland explorer train service. They now go to Mallaig and the fares have been reduced.

https://www.scotrail.co.uk/about-scotra ... and-locals

Good news for those of us planning tours in Scotland.
More capacity is always good and a reduction in costs is usually welcome. However it seems there's some loss of the entitlement that went with the charge
The supplemented Highland Explorer ticket had provided customers with guaranteed access to the carriage and a hospitality offering (subject to availability).
We'll see how it pans out, but apparently these carriages have better seats and more luggage space, it's possible they'll be popular enough with non cyclists that you don't end up sitting in the carriage with your bike. If that happens, I'd have rather paid for the benefit.
Will

Post by Will »

PH wrote: 7 Feb 2023, 12:48pm We'll see how it pans out, but apparently these carriages have better seats and more luggage space, it's possible they'll be popular enough with non cyclists that you don't end up sitting in the carriage with your bike. If that happens, I'd have rather paid for the benefit.
The guards on this service were already having to turf out passengers who didn't have the supplement for this carriage on a regular basis. This change has been carried out for the benefit of the non-cycling passengers. During peak time, many cyclists will end up having to sit in the other carriages away from their bikes, as it will quickly fill up with non-cyclists.

I too would also rather pay the supplement and be in the same carriage as my bike. Alternatively, it would be better if they had just put in the same seats and luggage space as the other carriages.

Will
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mr.Benton wrote: 7 Feb 2023, 12:31pm
AlanInBangor wrote: 6 Feb 2023, 9:46am Good news indeed. Is this is in addition to the Oban service, rather than reallocating the bike carriage?
Good question. There is nothing mentioned about the Oban service in the press release. I have emailed Scotrail for clarification.
Thanks for investigating.

I can't find any references to a further tranche of 153s having been procured and converted.

Jonathan
Mr.Benton

Post by Mr.Benton »

Here is the response I received from Scotrail
Thank you for contacting ScotRail regarding your enquiry.

To my knowledge, the Highland Explorer service to Oban will continue to run as normal, and the announcements will be updated to reflect that shortly. Hope this helps.

Once again thank you for contacting ScotRail, should you require any further assistance from us in the future please do not hesitate to get back in touch.

Yours sincerely,

Eli
Customer Relations
ScotRail
Looks promising.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks

Jonathan
Astrobike

Post by Astrobike »

I suspect the Glasgow to Oban trains will remain the same with the 8 spaces (hooks) available that must be booked to ensure travel,
When I traveled last year they where throwing people with out bike reservations off to allow those
with a booked space to get on only fair I suppose.
Adamcycles17

Post by Adamcycles17 »

There are 5 highland explorer carriages.

According to Modern Railways, the Oban trains stay as they are now. The additional train is the 0603 from Mallaig Tues to Sat which calls at Fort William at 0730ish. Monday to Friday there is an 1821 Glasgow to Fort William. The train is 5 cars, 2 to/from Oban and 3 to/ from Mallaig.
irc

Post by irc »

Adamcycles17 wrote: 12 Feb 2023, 9:13pm There are 5 highland explorer carriages.

According to Modern Railways, the Oban trains stay as they are now. The additional train is the 0603 from Mallaig Tues to Sat which calls at Fort William at 0730ish. Monday to Friday there is an 1821 Glasgow to Fort William. The train is 5 cars, 2 to/from Oban and 3 to/ from Mallaig.
Pretty sure the train travel time is more than 90 minutes Glw to Fort William.

Back in the days of empty roads 90m was a decent time in the car from west of Glasgow to Glen Coe.
PH

Post by PH »

irc wrote: 13 Feb 2023, 7:44am Pretty sure the train travel time is more than 90 minutes Glw to Fort William.
It is, but I don't think anyone is saying otherwise, certainly not in the quoted text?
irc

Post by irc »

PH wrote: 13 Feb 2023, 8:01am
irc wrote: 13 Feb 2023, 7:44am Pretty sure the train travel time is more than 90 minutes Glw to Fort William.
It is, but I don't think anyone is saying otherwise, certainly not in the quoted text?
My mistake! (slaps head).
birkhead

Post by birkhead »

When I looked this up, it seemed that the special carriage was only running on the first and last service of the day, of 3, but not the middle of the day. So a bit useless for me travelling from Aberdeen in the morning, and wanting to arrive before bedtime 😴