Tip jar...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
simonineaston

Tip jar...

Post by simonineaston »

Some YT'ers I watch have made a feature available on their channel that allows happy viewers to donate a sum they feel is appropriate, in recognition of the channel content and entertainment value. One I have in mind is Keith Williams' Five Watt World, an excellent facts&numbers channel focusing on electric guitars and their players. The channel motto is "helping you get the most music from the least gear...". https://www.youtube.com/@fivewattworld/
Anyway, to the point... do you, dear reader, think it would be a good idea to incorporate a tip jar into all the threads asking for help to id this frame or that... ? :wink:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Cyclewala

Re: Tip jar...

Post by Cyclewala »

Who would benefit from the tips? I presume the forum.

But should the forum benefit if the knowledge is parted by its members. For example, if some members provide more or better quality advice should they receive a tip i.e. Brucey?

On YT it’s easy. Content creator gets the tips/coffee.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Why reduce all human transactions to an exchange of cash? Such reductions are emblematic of the hegemony of the blasted peck sniffing accountants who "know the price of everything and the value of nothing".

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Any tips given, should be donated freely.
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

Encourage ALL artists.I rarely eat at restaurants up always leave a generous tip.
I ride Brompton and a 100% British Vintage
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

Most YouTubers and Social Media 'influencers' who offer up the option to receive a 'tip' are doing so to create an income.Some are making a lot of money from that and adverts on their videos.
Should it be available on a Forum?
No.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Firstly, any such mechanism would probably involve impractically deep modifications to the forum engine.

Secondly, once a site starts handling money the HMRC killjoys will probably have a hard look at it.

Thirdly, it would oblige the forum managers & mods to become accountants and submit annual balance-sheets, a fate worse than death. It would also render them liable for any fiduciary malfunctions. I don't think anyone would care to be in their place. Having run a small company for untold years, I certainly wouldn't.

ETA: ...and don't forget that this forum is an offshoot of a charity. That way madness lies.
Have we got time for another cuppa?