Poor tyre manufacturing?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Jupestar

Poor tyre manufacturing?

Post by Jupestar »

I have a Panaracer Gravel King Tyre. Is the slick version. It was new as I wore out the back one. Moved the front to the back, and put this one on.

It's punctured a couple of time early on. Then again. At this point I swapped it to the back. It's gone 3 more times since. 6 times in about 300miles. Each time in new place and each time it's been a piece of flint or glass getting stuck in the tire and working it way though the main carcass.

Pressure is at the high end around of range. Maybe I just have a dud tyre that some some reason scoops up this stuff, never had it before. [ I ride GP5000s on the same route. Probably done 4000mile on them and I think one puncture... ]
Nearholmer

Re: Poor tyre manufacturing?

Post by Nearholmer »

Tubes, or tubeless?

If the former, IMO they fall in with a lot of other “tubeless ready” tyres: simply not tough enough to be used with tubes.

If the latter: mystified, ‘cos you’d expect punctures, but you’d expect them to self-seal.
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

Nearholmer wrote: 6 Feb 2023, 3:03pm Tubes, or tubeless?
They are tubeless compatible, max psi tubed is 75, tubeless is 60. I run them around 65 with tubes. (I'm on the third tube with this tyre).
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

IMO, based on experience of trying, tubeless ready gravel tyres are simply too thin-skinned and soft to work with tubes …… a puncture every 20 miles, even in fairly benign conditions! The very qualities that make them good when set-up tubeless self-sabotage them When used with tubes.

It’s a perennial subject on the Gravel Bikes UK group

Some are better/worse than others, and Schwalbe have just introduced a mixed surfaces tyre (G-one Overland) which purports to be tougher-skinned (it’s also heavier, of course). It looks pretty good in reviews, but seems in very short supply, so I haven’t had a feel of one yet.
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

Nearholmer wrote: 6 Feb 2023, 3:21pm tubeless ready gravel tyres are simply too thin-skinned and soft to work with tubes ……
These are 38mm and slick, first two were fine, I pretty much just ride them on the road, occasionally a take some small off road trails.

I have a set of gravelking treaded ones in 32mm (TLC as well) I used them for all sorts of tracks and road. Never had a puncture. All tubed.

I briefly looked into tubeless, but there was questions mark on rim suitability so I just gave up and thought I'd revisit if I ever changed wheelset...

I get your point, I guess decent gravel tyres will all head tubeless soon maybe I need to catch up a bit.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Sometimes you just get plagued by a run of punctures for no particular reason. My records are four in one 16 mile ride, and 30 in the space of 8 months. On another occasion (also with four punctures in a day) I had both tyres flat at the same time from two different causes.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
531colin

Post by 531colin »

I wonder if the new tyre is a softer compound?
They might have changed the compound, deliberately or accidentally, with or without telling us.
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

Could be any of the reasons. I've heard elsewhere that TLC tyres are not always great tubed. But these were fine till I replaced one...

Just unlucky? Maybe but the other has been fine, odds don't stack up.

Change of compound.. .well they are identical. Apart from the wear. I still think it's a change in compound either in manufacturing or storage (got too cold/hot).

I've no confidence in this tyre. I've moved the front to the back and put a new 42c on the front. Brought the 42 thinking they would fit, but they don't get clearance on the back..
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

What version do you use? If you don't already have it you might be better with the plus version. It's easy to miss the + in the sidewall name... https://www.panaracer.co.uk/shop-c1/tyr ... g-tyre-p67
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Aha!

I didn’t know they made a not-tubeless version.
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

tim-b wrote: 7 Feb 2023, 5:43am What version do you use? If you don't already have it you might be better with the plus version.
That's the version I have with the + and the ProTite Shield. Never noticed this before. As I said I couldn't fault the original tyres, don't remember getting a puncture, they just wore out...
Nearholmer wrote: 7 Feb 2023, 5:49am I didn’t know they made a not-tubeless version.
This version is still TLC (which I assume means Tubeless Compatible), and states recommended pressures for tubed and tubeless.
PH

Post by PH »

axel_knutt wrote: 6 Feb 2023, 4:02pm Sometimes you just get plagued by a run of punctures for no particular reason.
Yes it happens, I had five in January, compared to two for the preceding twelve months, same tyres with plenty of life, same sorts of routes...
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

PH wrote: 7 Feb 2023, 11:10am same tyres with plenty of life
Tyre or tyre's'. Mine has all been in the same tyre, even after moving from the front wheel to the back, and 2 new inner tubes. I should also point out that i never used the bike really for a couple of months. Weather mostly, but also needed to swap the tyres over and put in a new inner tube! then as soon as i used it again same tyre went again. I can understand the 'run of punctures' argument, I've had plenty of those runs, but my stats and probability brain are starting to discount it.

Also worth noting is that whenever i change/fix the tube, i take out little shards which even though they have not caused the puncture are starting to work their way in. Its always the same puncture as well, little piece of something has pushed through to the inner tube, mostly creating a slow puncture which saps the legs.

I'm binning it and moving on. I reckon for whatever reason it just collects these sharp bits, maybe the rubber is a bit too tacky.
PH

Post by PH »

Jupestar wrote: 7 Feb 2023, 11:47am
PH wrote: 7 Feb 2023, 11:10am same tyres with plenty of life
Tyre or tyre's'.
Three of the five were on the same tyre, the other two on two different tyres. The tyre with three is possibly the newest in the collection, under 1,000 miles, possibly under 500.
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

Could be tubes in tubeless tyres as others suggest. I was using Rene Herse with tubes and getting flats every 200 miles. I sprang for tubeless rims and ran the same tyres tubeless for 4,000 miles without a flat.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West