Is storing your bike in your tent safer than locking it nearby when camping..?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Cowsham

Re: Is storing your bike in your tent safer than locking it nearby when camping..?

Post by Cowsham »

Vorpal wrote: 12 Jan 2023, 12:22pm Where would I put me, if my bike was in my tent? There isn't room for both of us :lol:
Absolutely -- I cart a large tent with me but the porch area is where I kick off the shoes before getting into the inner sleeping part and store all the gubbins I need to camp which leaves me a non loaded bike to explore the area during the day or two once I get to a stop ( a sort of base camp )
I am here. Where are you?
st599_uk

Re: Is storing your bike in your tent safer than locking it nearby when camping..?

Post by st599_uk »

Dog ground anchor and a D lock.

Can put the anchor in the vestibule and lock bike to it.

A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

st599_uk wrote: 15 Jan 2023, 7:21pm Dog ground anchor and a D lock.

Can put the anchor in the vestibule and lock bike to it.

The one piece stainless coloured one looks purposeful -- I had the other black type ones supplied with a trampoline but it broke around the welded plate as I tried to twist it into the ground. Ended up sledging in four big bits of angle iron.
RobinS

Post by RobinS »

We use a lightweight cable with an alarm padlock on it, but crucially we cover our bikes when locked with a rain cover so prospective thieves can't see what lock there is, and if they remove the cover, not knowing it's there will set set off the alarm. Bikes have been on campsites for many hundreds of nights like this.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

RobinS wrote: 17 Jan 2023, 10:53am We use a lightweight cable with an alarm padlock on it, but crucially we cover our bikes when locked with a rain cover so prospective thieves can't see what lock there is, and if they remove the cover, not knowing it's there will set set off the alarm. Bikes have been on campsites for many hundreds of nights like this.
Good system - Can I ask what the rain cover you use is? many are silvery which aint great - first line of defence make the thing you want to keep safe less noticeable. Suppose you could use a cheap tarp but will be less fitted/handy.
I also use an alarm - as you say more effective under cover.
Can recommend to anyone who is interested.
Sweep
RobinS

Post by RobinS »

Good system - Can I ask what the rain cover you use is? many are silvery which aint great - first line of defence make the thing you want to keep safe less noticeable
As there are two of us we have been using an Oxford 2-3 bike cover for several years now, it's partly silver, but black on the sides. It has lasted for about 400 overnights so far, though it is pretty much on it's last legs and will need replacing soon.

I would say though in some places it is worth making yourself noticed - the large majority of people are honest, so if you chat and make yourself known to people nearby when camping you can often pretty much get free "minders" for your kit. Across europe at supermarkets it's often good in dodgier areas if there is someone begging by the door - crims don't like witnesses, even dossers, and if the beggar was a half competent crim they wouldn't need to beg!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

RobinS wrote: 17 Jan 2023, 2:20pm
Good system - Can I ask what the rain cover you use is? many are silvery which aint great - first line of defence make the thing you want to keep safe less noticeable
As there are two of us we have been using an Oxford 2-3 bike cover for several years now, it's partly silver, but black on the sides. It has lasted for about 400 overnights so far, though it is pretty much on it's last legs and will need replacing soon.

I would say though in some places it is worth making yourself noticed - the large majority of people are honest, so if you chat and make yourself known to people nearby when camping you can often pretty much get free "minders" for your kit. Across europe at supermarkets it's often good in dodgier areas if there is someone begging by the door - crims don't like witnesses, even dossers, and if the beggar was a half competent crim they wouldn't need to beg!
thanks - I did find this.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/protectiv ... 81&c=BLACK

which packs into a bag/pouch it says which would make it handy for touring, though it doesn't say how heavy it is.
Sweep
Toffee

Post by Toffee »

Sweep wrote: 17 Jan 2023, 2:44pm

which packs into a bag/pouch it says which would make it handy for touring, though it doesn't say how heavy it is.
It's 580g lower down in the item description
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Toffee wrote: 17 Jan 2023, 2:56pm
Sweep wrote: 17 Jan 2023, 2:44pm

It's 580g lower down in the item description
ah double thanks :)
not too light but then I'm not a lightweight packer and it does sound well made and is apparently elasticated.
Sweep
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Sweep wrote: 17 Jan 2023, 1:55pm
RobinS wrote: 17 Jan 2023, 10:53am We use a lightweight cable with an alarm padlock on it, but crucially we cover our bikes when locked with a rain cover so prospective thieves can't see what lock there is, and if they remove the cover, not knowing it's there will set set off the alarm. Bikes have been on campsites for many hundreds of nights like this.
Good system - Can I ask what the rain cover you use is? many are silvery which aint great - first line of defence make the thing you want to keep safe less noticeable. Suppose you could use a cheap tarp but will be less fitted/handy.
I also use an alarm - as you say more effective under cover.
Can recommend to anyone who is interested.
Agreed -- the cover in the photo was my brothers -- mine is black.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

RobinS wrote: 17 Jan 2023, 2:20pm ...
I would say though in some places it is worth making yourself noticed - the large majority of people are honest, so if you chat and make yourself known to people nearby when camping you can often pretty much get free "minders" for your kit.
I agree.

And even without those minders there are many settings in which I'd rather have the bikes exposed than hidden.

Jonathan
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Storing your bike in your tent might be more secure but less safe.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Jdsk wrote: 17 Jan 2023, 3:34pm
RobinS wrote: 17 Jan 2023, 2:20pm ...
I would say though in some places it is worth making yourself noticed - the large majority of people are honest, so if you chat and make yourself known to people nearby when camping you can often pretty much get free "minders" for your kit.
I agree.

And even without those minders there are many settings in which I'd rather have the bikes exposed than hidden.

Jonathan
Exactly -- judge the situation and make a decision -- electric bikes may be better covered though hence the big silver cover for me brothers old bike with front hub -- not worth much but worth less waterlogged or stolen.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Almost forgot -- my brother is so precious about his old bike he asked if there was any way we could put an alarm on it. I laughed -- we're headed for the island but then thought well I do have a spare " Tile " key finder.

I got him to tape it onto the bike below the rack ( you could wrap it in tape and put it anywhere -- behind a reflector etc. )

That way you can track the movements of it so you'd have a very good idea what direction it went even if the tile eventually got separated from the bike.

It works using Bluetooth and when other phones with the tile app on get near, it will make their phone send location data back to your phones tile app.
2wheels

Post by 2wheels »

I'm not suggesting that it's not necessary to lock a bike up but in 40 years of camping on all sorts of campsites in all sorts of units, I have never had a problem with theft, nor have heard of anyone having something stolen.