Cassette sprocket identification

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mattsccm

Cassette sprocket identification

Post by mattsccm »

Is anyone aware of any sources of information regarding individual or group sprocket identification code?
Sounds daft but I have a bunch of loose and mismatched sprockets that I can't match up. I guess that over time my carefully organised system has become less so by being droped, victim to a careless chuck and other less intelligent forms of storage.
Some I can match by finish or codes but other don't seem to have a partner yet they should. Measuring with a vernier doesn't always help EG. I have one known 8 speed sprocket that is narrower than a known 9 speed.
They could be turned into a wind chimes but they might be useful one day!
simonineaston

Re: Cassette sprocket identification

Post by simonineaston »

The only two systems I have any experience of are SunTour's Winner and Regina's CX and they appear to use their own propietary letter / number combination, stamped on the sprocket side. The number refers to the teeth and the letter refers to the position in the order the sprocket is assembled on the freebody. That's all I know!
However, these are both vintage systems built on threaded freewheel body / sprocket assemblies.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Thankfully I rarely pull the freewheels in the box apart.
rjb

Post by rjb »

All this info could be accessed on Sheldon's site but it has been updated since he climbed up above the clouds and I can't now find it. Shimano sprockets had letters like j and K on them to aid identification. What the difference is appears to be lost. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

You might find something useful on this discussion thread:
https://bicycles.stackexchange.com/ques ... ocket-mean

Also try googling Shimano or sram sprocket codes etc.