ReAligning a steel Fork

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Jupestar

ReAligning a steel Fork

Post by Jupestar »

Has anyone straightened a Steel fork. Its a tiny bit out, maybe a couple of mm. such that the axle is not sitting true, The wheel (s) goes in and has clearance, but leans to one side, not much but just enough to be noticable. and the load is badly distributed and is just killing the bearings in super quick time!.. [the wheel is straight!].

I've seen these dropout straightning tools, but they seem to be used on the back, and not on the fork. I'm tempted to try and force it straight, or an alternative would be to just file a couple of mm into the dropout to make the wheel sit straight in a bent fork! Both seem do-able, but not entirely sensible.

Obviously a final alternative is to buy a new fork which is also on the list. But its matching etc... so don't really want to bin it.
cycleruk

Re: ReAligning a steel Fork

Post by cycleruk »

Yes you can "adjust" a steel fork. Bob Jackson's did one for me. I was surprised when they said they could as I was expecting to have to buy a new one. Since then I also have reset a steel fork that had gone sideways by a few millimetres. A lot will depend on the type of steel and how it is distorted.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

How to check the alignment....viewtopic.php?t=59332

That will tell you what you need to do to get the wheel (contact patch) in line with the steering axis (headset bearing)....which is what you want.
For what its worth, the most common thing I have done is to file one dropout, there is often a blob of paint/brazing spelter stopping the axle from going fully home.
TheBomber

Post by TheBomber »

I had one sorted by Chas Roberts but subsequently wished I’d asked him to make me a new one - when I later discovered the disc mounting was off along with the front rack fixing points. And people thought that Dawes were an ok bicycle company.
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

cycleruk wrote: 7 Feb 2023, 4:16pm Since then I also have reset a steel fork that had gone sideways by a few millimetres.
Did you do this yourself? If so what did you use? I think this is basically what is wrong with mine.

I bolted a 80mm M4 bolt into each drop out, with 50mm showing and the two bolt ends are not flush and at an angle. I reckon the driveside fork and just come out a tiny bit. I was planning to use Colins string alignment (previously seen) to double check. The OLN is 103..

The wheel leans very slightly to the non driveside. So either the non driveside has tucked in lowering the dropout, or the driveside has gone out.

I was thinking to buy some longer (300mm) M8 threaded bar to bolt into each drop out, and then use the bar to try and adjust it into place.
531colin wrote: 7 Feb 2023, 4:30pm For what its worth, the most common thing I have done is to file one dropout, there is often a blob of paint/brazing spelter stopping the axle from going fully home.
I've done this once on a NOS frame which just needed the paint filing out. Less than 1mm and made a huge difference. This is 8 years old. And was straight for most of it. I don't know how this happened.... I'm tempted to do this as a bodge. While a procrastinate even longer on a replacement frame..
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Dropout alignment tools are for forks as well as rear dropouts.
I should coco.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Jupestar wrote: 7 Feb 2023, 6:17pm
cycleruk wrote: 7 Feb 2023, 4:16pm Since then I also have reset a steel fork that had gone sideways by a few millimetres.
Did you do this yourself? If so what did you use? I think this is basically what is wrong with mine.
The OLN is 103..
The wheel leans very slightly to the non driveside. So either the non-driveside has tucked in lowering the dropout, or the driveside has gone out.
It's quite a few years back now.
I do remember that both legs had gone over to the left side after a bump with a car.
He pulled out without looking. :x
When the wheel was in, the rim was off to one side. and not plumb with the steerer tube by a few millimetre. Forks are usually oval so they bend easier sideways rather than backwards.
To correct I put the the fork stem in the vice and gently pulled the legs back. A bit at a time until corrected. Obviously protect the stem from the vice teeth by some means.
Checked mine by looking down the stem to until the rim was central and you can measure the gaps either side of the rim to the insides of the legs. Also, looking side on, make sure the legs are parallel and not twisted.

Aren't forks 100mm OLN ?
If so then one fork has gone out or both moved over but not equally. ??
In the end if you are unsure of them not being good then scrap them.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
drossall

Post by drossall »

I had one done by a frame builder after an accident, along with a respray. It failed a year or two later. You can never be sure - I don't really blame the builder, just one of those things.
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

cycleruk wrote: 7 Feb 2023, 7:58pm Aren't forks 100mm OLN ?
If so then one fork has gone out or both moved over but not equally. ??
Exactly took it off and measured it last night, it was 106mm. you can close the gap with an over tightened QR. Or bolting in a traditional bolted axle. The bolted axle being the better option.

531colin wrote: 7 Feb 2023, 4:30pm the most common thing I have done is to file one dropout
Looked at this again last night, i think there is too much to come off. I think i might try this in combo with straightening.

cycleruk wrote: 7 Feb 2023, 7:58pm In the end if you are unsure of them not being good then scrap them.
I've invested £3.50 in in 300mm M8 threaded rods, will bolt them in and try and straighten it. but I think realistically this is done. Unfortunately its not that easy to find a replacement. straight steerer, QR/9mm, Post/ISO mount disc, with 38mm clearance.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

If the OLN has gone from 100 to 106mm, the question remains........one blade bent or both?
My bit of string will tell you!
If its just one blade bent, you don't want to pull the 2 dropouts together with a length of threaded rod, you can still end up with a bent fork

....I now think you mean fix rod to both dropouts to use as a lever.......I'm not sure where it will bend!
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

531colin wrote: 8 Feb 2023, 4:51pm ....I now think you mean fix rod to both dropouts to use as a lever.......
I mean i will bolt one rod to each drop out. then try and align each dropout. a DIY version of this.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/park-tool-fram ... lsrc=aw.ds

Not sure it will work on a fork.

531colin wrote: 8 Feb 2023, 4:51pm I'm not sure where it will bend!
I'm hoping to align it, not bend it!!! :D but yes, i'm aware. I don't have high expectations,.
531colin wrote: 8 Feb 2023, 4:51pm one blade bent or both?
i think they have spread, but that would not align to the wheel being off center.
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

In fairness that Park tool does say frame and fork alignment tool.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

My concern is the dropout will bend; my guess is its less stiff than even the narrowest bit of the fork blade tubing.
I would grip the steerer in the vice and try to bend the fork blade by hand as a first try
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

Had another good look at this. Really struggling to see why all wheels sit wonky...

With my home made drop out alignment. It all looks straight. And even the drop out is bang on 100mm. I've tried 3 wheel all sit off slightly. And the all sit fine on another bike.

Dropping a string it looks evenly set.

I filed one of the dropouts in the end.. took about 3mm out and the wheel sits correctly. And all looks even to the eye

But i 'm looking for a new fork.
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

I have fixed forks where one blade was ahead of the other (common), the wheel didn't sit straight (also common) and the spacing was wrong or offset. The thing I can't and won't fix is a bent steerer, including a steerer that has been brazed into the crown at an angle, a common Holdsworth trait.