Compulsory Purchase

Bmblbzzz

Re: Compulsory Purchase

Post by Bmblbzzz »

cycle tramp wrote: 7 Feb 2023, 8:12pm that massive car park/import place in Bristol
Portbury dock.
And St Briavel's is in the Forest of Dean, I wouldn't describe it as "a few miles north of Newport" but that's a detail.

The cycle path past Portbury dock, alongside that chainlink fence, is not a great path – too many sharp, narrow corners, too dusty and/or muddy, depending on the weather – but it is fairly busy.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 7 Feb 2023, 11:04pm
cycle tramp wrote: 7 Feb 2023, 8:12pm that massive car park/import place in Bristol
Portbury dock.
And St Briavel's is in the Forest of Dean, I wouldn't describe it as "a few miles north of Newport" but that's a detail.

The cycle path past Portbury dock, alongside that chainlink fence, is not a great path – too many sharp, narrow corners, too dusty and/or muddy, depending on the weather – but it is fairly busy.
Sorry, I meant Chepstow. It's been a while since I've been north of the Bristol Channel
It's time to go :-)
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I'll give you that. :D
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mjr wrote: 7 Feb 2023, 9:44pm
pwa wrote: 7 Feb 2023, 5:13pm
mjr wrote: 7 Feb 2023, 3:47pm
Yeah, but you're just a townie who wants to make everything urban and avoid creating more bumpkins like me who grew up walking across the fields to neighbouring villages (because it was shorter and the roads didn't have footways anyway). ;)

Seriously, I am mindful of a series of sexual assaults on shared use paths that pass through parkland in Cardiff. Lots of bushes for bad people to lurk behind and not many people about at certain times of day. We shouldn't have to worry about things like that, because it shouldn't happen, but it does.
Not many bushes in agricultural fields!
And he's described something that happened in an urban area.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pwa

Post by pwa »

pete75 wrote: 9 Feb 2023, 1:02pm
mjr wrote: 7 Feb 2023, 9:44pm
pwa wrote: 7 Feb 2023, 5:13pm [/b]
Seriously, I am mindful of a series of sexual assaults on shared use paths that pass through parkland in Cardiff. Lots of bushes for bad people to lurk behind and not many people about at certain times of day. We shouldn't have to worry about things like that, because it shouldn't happen, but it does.
Not many bushes in agricultural fields!
And he's described something that happened in an urban area.
The proposed path links two towns that are very close together. Urban edge. I have known sex attacks to happen on paths in situations like that, and the idea that a "safe route to school" could be constructed without a thought being given to personal safety is concerning. Any route sold as a "safe route to school" ought to be well lit, visible to surrounding buildings, and well used through most of the day. Or people will rightly want their kids to go another way to school.

If the route through fields were being sold as a leisure route, for people to use on a sunny Sunday afternoon, my feelings about it would be different. But a "safe route to school" has more dangers to consider than traffic.
Zulu Eleven

Post by Zulu Eleven »

Why not just build it down the side of an A-road, then it will be well lit and safe from Nonces (well, except ones with vans) but now polluted, noisy and at constant risk of vehicles running off the road and into people, or young kids darting off into the road, and the kids won’t get to engage with nature either.

See, we can rapidly start getting silly when discussing risk, can’t we?

Electricity supply instillation can magnify costs exponentially. It might be relevant in an urban area, but to demand it on routes through agricultural fields is getting silly, and results in fewer safe routes getting built (and that’s before we even begin to think about issues like light pollution, impact of lighting on wildlife etc.)

a practical solution on some routes has been photo-luminescent road studs, eg Britannia greenway. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NMm5LZo0IE