Santander to Portsmouth Ferry Tips

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
WEBH

Re: Santander to Portsmouth Ferry Tips

Post by WEBH »

Will certainly let you know how it goes, I'll be playing it by ear with the on/off road bits; never done any off road riding, but I'm thinking of putting some wider tyres on for this. I've currently got some marathon 35c, which I imagine would do if it's dry? If it's raining I'll stick to tarmac.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

I took the Plymouth/Santander route in late 2019. The vessel was the biggest one that runs that route (swimming pool and all!). I was lucky with the weather and it really was like a mini cruise tacked on to my main holiday! I can't remember about boarding or securing the bike. I had to buy either a recliner seat or cabin space as a part of the ticket. I chose recliner, used it for a bit but when it got quiet later had no issues laying out my sleeping pad in a corner of the restaurant area right at the front viewing windows of the ship. Much more comfortable than the recliner lounge, and there were electric sockets available there too. Needed an eye mask and ear plugs though as the lights didn't go fully down and cleaners were hoovering early. I was seen and nobody had any issue with me sleeping there. I left most of my luggage in the wall rack in the recliner lounge until I bedded down, and then I just had it with me. I used the showers next to the swimming pool, both of which were free. The whale spotting charity staff out on deck were great!

If you have time at the end you can ride from Plymouth through Dartmoor to get the train from Exeter, get a bit of legal wild camping in while you still can!
Last edited by gregoryoftours on 7 Feb 2023, 8:14pm, edited 1 time in total.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

I know a few people who run illicit sextant navigation classes on the Santander ferry - gives the punters a chance to shoot sun, moon and stars. In good weather, it's a fantastically smooth cruise.

Does mean if you select badly, you may be woken up by people with red torches discussing Greenwich Hour Angles.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
cycletouringorg

Post by cycletouringorg »

I have used this ferry route a number of times.

Pannier-wise - I normally leave one pannier and take the other with the essentials I need on the ferry. Never had an issue with this - the crew was fine and I have never lost anything.

I have booked both reclining seats and cabins. Obviously, a cabin is going to be nicer with a bed and shower, but the reclining chairs were pretty good and I got some sleep. I have seen other people sleep on the floors in sleeping bags - also outside when the weather is nice.

I always enjoy this ferry ride - a long time to chill out before or after a bicycle tour. Bay of Biscay can be a little rough depending on the weather, but that adds to the fun!

Have a great trip.

Pete
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Bay of Biscay can be a little rough depending on the weather, but that adds to the fun!
The first time it got rough on the way over to Roscoff (often referred to by the regulars as The Rough Cross, I understand) I was amused to see the crew wrap all the Scotch etc. up in giant rolls of cling-film, while still on the shelves in what used to be known as the duty-free shop. Genius!
Some 18 years later, we've caught up with BF processes and use the same technique to paletise food deliveries at the food project I volunteer at. It works well, but you're left with massive bundles of useless unwanted cling film... nearly all the palets of food products come wrapped in the stuff - so much for cutting down on plastics.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

It’s kind of inevitable sometimes despite lots of clever stabilisers etc. The Atlantic brings in a lot of weather from the west and the crossing is north south. The bay of Biscay is definitely worse- I also thought the mini cruise would be a thing but ended up passing on dinner and really appreciating my bunk when I realised how much the boat was moving around.
albal1

Post by albal1 »

Currently on the santona. 1st UK to Spain crossing. I,ve done in excess of 30 crossings, UK to EU, annually since 1987. (Working, i might add) I can confirm the pont aven is the rolls Royce of western channel ferries.
End.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Davesmith3 wrote: 18 Jan 2023, 3:41pm Thank to everyone for their tips and advice

Looks like I will be booking a cabin then!

Cheers
Do keep us updated with some photos from Spain and the Via de La Plata if you have the chance and WEBH. Would love to have a mini report from your trip. I keep checking the weather as I’m planning on doing it in the second half of April next year.