Rolling out a dent, need tube blocks

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
fastpedaller

Re: Rolling out a dent, need tube blocks

Post by fastpedaller »

Some roundel stickers to commemorate the RAF Centenary would come in handy here!
slowster

Post by slowster »

I came across the video below demonstrating the manufacture and use of frame blocks to remove the worst of a severe dent before filling it and sanding down.

Paul Brodie was an influential frame builder in the early years of MTB development, and he has some super videos demonstrating frame building and repairing techniques on Youtube here - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... ELcmA1-f-V

richardfm

Post by richardfm »

slowster wrote: 2 Mar 2023, 10:42pm I came across the video below demonstrating the manufacture and use of frame blocks to remove the worst of a severe dent before filling it and sanding down.

Paul Brodie was an influential frame builder in the early years of MTB development, and he has some super videos demonstrating frame building and repairing techniques on Youtube here - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... ELcmA1-f-V

I enjoyed that video, thanks for posting it
Richard M
Cardiff
Barrowman

Post by Barrowman »

Friend of mine who was a very experienced welder ( and had built a frame of his own) took a dent out of a top tube by brazing a bar to it then gently heating the dent and using the lever. Then he detatched the bar.
It was a chrome plated track frame , he painted over the heat affected area .
You might not have realised but the metal is probably stretched so you will never entirely get rid of the defect ,there will always be an element of filling involved ,be it brass or fibreglass filler.
I wouldn't suggest you try this unless you happen to be a framebuilder or a time served welder.
Have you considered asking a frame maker to take the job on?
Or simply fill it with car body filler and paint over it . Or put a sticker on it . :D