A view from Germany

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Ben@Forest

A view from Germany

Post by Ben@Forest »

Have been in North Rhine Westphalia for the last week. Some comparisons with UK.

I arrived to find all trams and buses on strike, the third 24 hr strike in seven days.

On the day of heavy snowfall the kindergartens were shut, about 15% of trains were cancelled and a further 25% late. Mine was 45 minutes late.

There's very little obvious support for Ukraine. I've seen maybe 5 flags, and no stickers in windows or graffiti'd flags (both of which I've seen in the UK). One of the flags had 'Give peace a chance' and the German equivalent in the centre of the flag, which resonates of wanting a negotiated settlement fairly quickly.

There are increasing numbers of beggars, panhandlers and presumably homeless people in Germany though some are middle-aged women of the Roma/Sinti communities for whom begging is a common profession. They are well-fed and well-equipped for the task. Others have very good-looking and well-cared for dogs to interest the passing public. 25 years ago this was extremely rare.