CTC - does it want members?

NWLondoner

Re: CTC - does it want members?

Post by NWLondoner »

My membership runs out this month.

I was going to renew on Monday but after reading this thread it has kind of put me off.

I may try everyday cycling instead.

Anyone here tried Everyday Cycling or got any GOOD stories of renewing with CTC??
Bob S

Post by Bob S »

I am lucky I recieved a membership card on 2 consecutive days. I must keep a check I am not charged twice on my Direct Debit
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

My membership expired at the beginning of December, and it only occurred to me that something was wrong when I didn't receive the latest magazine a few weeks ago. It's difficult to keep track of when various different memberships etc expire and you usually get a letter or e-mail inviting you to continue, but I got no such reminder from CTC. So I was not a member for a couple of months without knowing about it. It was sorted out when I phoned them but I would expect a reminder.
360fix

Post by 360fix »

That reminds me, I don't think I received my full entitlement to the CYCLE magazine. Isn't it one copy every 3 months? I only received two. :cry:
manybikes

Post by manybikes »

Is anyone going to the CTC AGM this year? If so please ensure that this subject is brought up again and fully debated. Last year we debated it and examples were given. As a result we were promised: a full enquiry because complaints had finally filtered through to the executive; AND and a report at the AGM; AND action would be taken if appropriate. Regretfully I shall not be there this time to follow it up in person.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

My membership runs out this month. I've already had my reminder which includes the new membership card. That assumes I will take out the same membership again - five years commuted. So far so good.

I'll be 65 in December and though I've not checked, I imagine that that might entitle me to a concession. I read on here and listen to fellow cyclists elsewhere about all the hassle this sort of thing causes and I think 'shall I bother?'

If I renew, it won't be because of what I might get out of it - I've had my share (and been very grateful that I've not had to use the solicitors etc.) but out of a sense of loyalty and a feeling that I owe it to future cyclists.

The membership renewal reminder comes with an explanation from KM of all the good my support has helped the CTC to achieve. Item one: "Over the past year you helped us influence government's u-turn on proposed changes in the the highway code." My memory's failing :oops: , especially over things I'd prefer to forget but I'm fairly sure that the Highway Code mess-up was in early 2007. Anyway, don't blame me for that, Kevin Old Bean. :twisted:
CW

Post by CW »

In my case I changed to direct debit on renewal on October. For the first 3 months CTC were taking two separate amounts each month. I was eventually refunded just over £19 Their records failed to show the second amount.
Last month CTC took £24.50 from my account. This being equal to my monthly membership fee plus the previously refund money.
CTC say they are sorting it out. It remains to be seen, they said that on the first occasion. Needless to say I have cancelled my DD.
Just keep an eye on your bank statements.
I have used DDs for over 30yrs with no problem until now.
Chris
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

I don't think I received my full entitlement to the CYCLE magazine. Isn't it one copy every 3 months?

Magazine is every two months, six copies per year.
MarkC

Post by MarkC »

NWLondoner wrote:My membership runs out this month.

I was going to renew on Monday but after reading this thread it has kind of put me off.

I may try everyday cycling instead.

Anyone here tried Everyday Cycling or got any GOOD stories of renewing with CTC??

Whilst it's disappointing to read these experiences from fellow CTC members, I've renewed 3 times with not a single problem. I'm not making excuses for the errors, but there will always be issues for some people where the process is not as smooth as all concerned would like. The bad experiences will always attract the attention - and they should, in order to be put right.

I think CTC is a wonderful organisation and it will continue to get my support for its campaigning activity alone. I've never been clear about exactly what Everyday Cycling is and why I should join - I'm already a BC member for the racing licence - but they don't campaign for cyclists.
beachcomber

Post by beachcomber »

In 2007 my membership was not renewed despite the fact I had taken out a direct debit. I had to contact the membership dept to get it done.

At the end of 2008 I was aware I had not received any magazines for some time. I checked my membership card which showed it had expired in Oct 08. No new card had been sent.
I contacted the membership dept. They could give no explanation, so took details for a new DD.I brought this to the attention of HQ as I was concerned I may not have had the insurance cover.
Several weeks later, still no membership card. Contacted Membership dept (M d) and was told the DD had not come out of my account due to the wrong date being put into the computer. It would be attended to.
A week or so later received a membership card valid until 2011. Contacted HQ told them of this. They said they would look into it and send out a new card. Sure enough a new card arrived valid until 2011. A week later I received a letter from M d telling me my membership was due to expire.
So I now have a membership card from 14.01.09 to 13.01.2011 and another from 14.01.2009 to 14.01 2011. It appears I have only been charged for one year. Though I shall watch my bank statement carefully.
Had I been a new member I don't think I would have bothered.
Not one of the other clubs I belong to have ever had such problems with Direct debit. I thought it was designed to make thing easier and prevent one's membership lapsing :(
Si

Post by Si »

A couple of councillors are interested in the alleged 'problems' with membership and were asking for opinion elsewhere
jan19

Post by jan19 »

The ability to renew online would be enormously helpful to those of us with full-time jobs....our family renewal is due and its not made very clear how you renew if you don't want to do a Direct Debit.

It can't be that difficult to set up - I've just renewed the Camping & Caravanning Club membership online with no problem at all...

Jan

:D

PS if anyone's noticed - the Camping and Caravanning Club - not the same animal currently being discussed in "Campaigning & Public Policy". We have a tent, not a caravan!
Big G

Post by Big G »

I am treasurer of a CTC-affiliated club. We have 40 members, 30 of whom are personal CTC members, and the remaining 10 have Affiliated membership through their club memebrship, mainly for insurance purposes.

In September 2008 I renewed the club membership together with the affiliated membership for the 10 members, such membership to run until 31st December 2009.

Despite several phone calls, I did not receive any aknowledgement that the renewal had been received for two months, and the cheque was not cashed for over 3 months.

Now after almost 6 months, we have still not received any membership cards, although I have a letter stating that the renewal had been received.

I only hope that no-one has to make a third party insurance claim!
360fix

Post by 360fix »

Its shambolic. I don't think I will renew this year.
Simon L6

Post by Simon L6 »

Si wrote:A couple of councillors are interested in the alleged 'problems' with membership and were asking for opinion elsewhere

I think there's a solid core of National Councillors who have let the membership down badly on this. They've got their heads stuck in the sand, hoping that the whole thing will go away. It won't.

The final version of the report by Mick Simmonds should be published, and a precis set out in the mag. Getting the basics right should come first - conversion to a charity can surely only take place if we're convinced that the CTC is doing right by the members, and getting the subs in order is, I would have thought, part of that doing right.