best way to get oil and crud out of a carpet?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
sir_lozz

Post by sir_lozz »

i had the same problem at uni. I picked up one of those see through plastic sheets that are used in hall ways, you can then just sweep up the rubbish.
real men don't need engines
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

I've often had to get oil spots out of a mid brown wool carpet. it helps that the oil is Bikeline bio-degradable which removes more easily than other oils I've used.

The procedure I use goes thus -

*Squirt abit of muc-off or orange peel degreaser if it's really suborn, then leave for a bit.
*Using a sponge, lather a wet but foamy washing-up liquid solution into the area treated, working it well in. Don't be concerned about getting the carpet too wet as long as it's not a flood!
*Using a broad decorators knive, scrap the foam of the carpet. The foam acts as a carrier to lift the dirt and oil away from the carpet.

Test in a discete area first!

jerry
timmitchell

Post by timmitchell »

Mrs TheJollyJimLad ?

she'll do a better job as well
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

AndyB wrote:You could always try Swarfega. I've not tried it myself though, so don't blame me!

Swarfega is excellent - it has done the trick here several times without trace and I am alive to prove it :wink:

A word of caution. Most people who use Swarfega and similar have a tub of the stuff in which they dip their dirty greasy fingers for a dollop when they want to wash their hands. This contaminated tub then can be the source of even worse mess. Some of us who have been there before keep a 100% clean tub of Swarfega entirely for jobs like this, and even gain brownie points when SWMBO needs a bit of carpet cleaned. :wink:

Of course, prevention is always better than cure, just as hindsight is an exact science.
TheJollyJimLad

Post by TheJollyJimLad »

A lot of food for thought, thank you! I'm going to try a couple of methods and report my findings here shortly.

And timmitchell, the soon to be Mrs TheJollyJimLad probably could do a better job but if I did make her clean up my cycling crud, it would take an expert rectal surgeon and about 5 hours to get my bike back :)
CREPELLO

Re: best way to get oil and crud out of a carpet?

Post by CREPELLO »

I'd caution against using Swarfega. I remember using it on a carpet years ago and it turned the carpet green! I may have left it to soak in a little long, but it put me off using it again.

Jerry
tb

Post by tb »

beware the bike in the bedroom!

I live in a rented flat too, I have two bikes in the flat and another two in bits in the small loft space........

but the wife went long ago !
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

CREPELLO wrote:I'd caution against using Swarfega. I remember using it on a carpet years ago and it turned the carpet green!

Regular readers who have seen items of cycling paraphernalia photographed on my carpet will know it is a pleasant greenish shade. (Probably known in the trade as 'Swarfega Green') :wink:
Beakyboy

Post by Beakyboy »

When I got oil on the carpet I sprayed it with WD40 and watched it disappear literally before my eyes!
May the wind always be at your rear!
mgronow

Post by mgronow »

Hi,

I always go for citrus degreaser from the LBS...its really very effective and you can use it on bike bits too.

regards
m.
Fred Ivory

Post by Fred Ivory »

:shock: O.K. for those who really want to know the quick and easy and cheap way to clean, dirt, wine, oil off a carpet,
it is wet ones, those things you use to clean babies bottoms, Tesco My Baby's Ultra soft wipes (scented if you wish in the light green packet,) 3 packs for 3 pounds, store them lid facing down keeps them moist.
You can use them to clean your bike, from frames to rims brakes to all parts, even clean up an oily chain, these
have also replaced the toilet roll when touring, they just have a multitude of usages, but don't use then on babies
faces, takes the skin off, adults its fine, kindest regards, Fred