LEJOG 2023

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
puffin

Re: LEJOG 2023

Post by puffin »

I have rechargeable back lights...one of which I found while out cycling, I thought it was trashed so picked it up to throw away safely but that night saw in it a faint red light like the last scene from Terminator. Yesterday I set them both running to see how long they run for. One of them stops after two minutes of inactivity so I kept it in my pocket so it didn't stop. They both ran on a flash setting for over nine hours; that is awesome.
puffin

Post by puffin »

Yea! Put in the last piece of the jigsaw today when I booked my train ticket (with bike) to Penzance....everything is now in place: all I've got to do now is cycle heaps of practice miles. 77 days yo go!
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Exciting!!!
puffin

Post by puffin »

About 9 days to go ....better start training :)

There's a train strike the day before I go...gulp!

However, my brother the Legend (see thread LEJOG 2022) has said he'll drive me to Reading Station....and if the train is cancelled he'll then drive me to Lands End. Am I blessed or what?

I'm still pumping round the Chilterns with bricks in my panniers to simulate my luggage. The new (to me) bike is awesome.
puffin

Post by puffin »

Attached is photo taken today as I started Rob's passage, which sounds so much better than Here is me entering Rob's passage.
Attachments
The start of Rob's Passage
The start of Rob's Passage
puffin

Post by puffin »

Finished!
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

👍🚴👏🏼
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Excellent! :D :D

Rob's Passage is a route named by me after Rob S on here many years ago, who described it to us.
I'd struggled over the Cadbury Hills a couple of times, and once in the opposite direction - which is harder due to having the climb the terrible Bickleigh Hill.

Rob's description of the route was a revelation.
Mick F. Cornwall
puffin

Post by puffin »

Had a wonderful time despite gentle but continuous headwinds and high temps. Finished with 85 miles into JOG. A few issues with the bike easily sorted. Everybody I met was unfailingly friendly and helpful. All the road closures I encountered were "not for bikes, cmon through".
Attachments
Empty Forth Road Bridge
Empty Forth Road Bridge
Bonar Bridge Blackbird
Bonar Bridge Blackbird
North of Crask Inn
North of Crask Inn
Bettyhill
Bettyhill
Yea!
Yea!
Pinhead

Post by Pinhead »

My sons first bike at 13 (now 28) was a Dawes :)
AUTISTIC and proud
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Lovely photos (I’m almost tempted) and fabulous weather (I was in France at a similar time and had a good run too up from the Med to the channel).

How long did it take (I’ve always thought I’d take about 3 weeks to do it but talking to someone at work landing it in 9 days which is I think quite a popular sort of length).
puffin

Post by puffin »

Pinhead wrote: 22 Jun 2023, 3:05pm My sons first bike at 13 (now 28) was a Dawes :)
Your son has class.
puffin

Post by puffin »

MrsHJ wrote: 24 Jun 2023, 8:12pm Lovely photos (I’m almost tempted) and fabulous weather (I was in France at a similar time and had a good run too up from the Med to the channel).

How long did it take (I’ve always thought I’d take about 3 weeks to do it but talking to someone at work landing it in 9 days which is I think quite a popular sort of length).
I do it over 2 weeks. 3 weeks would allow a lot of sightseeing which is a bonus.
puffin

Post by puffin »

MrsHJ wrote: 24 Jun 2023, 8:12pm Lovely photos (I’m almost tempted) and fabulous weather (I was in France at a similar time and had a good run too up from the Med to the channel).

What is the Med to Channel trip like?
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

A lot easier than a LEJOG and the boulangeries are better too (IMO)! I took 3 weeks including a couple of travel days but you can easily do it in 2 and sportif types would do it quicker again.

2/3 of the route i did was on bike trails (and not sustrans type bridle paths) and only 5500m of climbing in 800miles. There are more scenic routes with more climbing though (I’ll probably do something a bit similar next year but go over the Massif Central). Took the ferry and then the TGV to get to the south of france and cycled up to roscoff in Brittany for the ferry home. The classic route is supposed to be saint Malo to nice I think.