GPS location for 3rd party helper.

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
peetee

GPS location for 3rd party helper.

Post by peetee »

My partner will be attempting the King Alfred Way solo later this year and was wondering if there is an app that would allow me to direct her remotely if she got lost. Basically I would need to be able to track her progress and use real-time map location to guide her back to civilisation/food/shelter.
She lacks confidence in certain situations and is keen to take on the challenge but it would help her a great deal and might well stop her from panicking if she knew such a resource was there when she needed it.
Oh, and we are both tech numpties so something that could just be downloaded with one prod on a phone screen would be best!
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Jdsk

Re: GPS location for 3rd party helper.

Post by Jdsk »

That's an interesting variation.

First: what devices will you both have to support this? What types of 'phones and will you also have a bigger computer back at base? (Some of the possible solutions will only work on certain devices.)

Jonathan
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Wattsapp has a location feature

https://faq.whatsapp.com/480865177351335

Strava "beacon" likewise though that's a bit more fiddly.

Doubtless there are thousands of other ways!

I think the main issue here might be becoming totally reliant on the tech - so make sure she takes a backup battery pack along.
sjs

Post by sjs »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 10:27am Wattsapp has a location feature
Google maps is one of the many others, and is probably already installed, if on Android.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

If you use iPhones, “FindMy” is scarily accurate. You can give one another permission to be able to see where your phones are. Worth checking mobile coverage for KAW, my instinct is that it won’t have any “not spots”, but the middle of Salisbury Plain might just be I suppose.
PH

Post by PH »

peetee wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 9:40am Oh, and we are both tech numpties so something that could just be downloaded with one prod on a phone screen would be best!
Whatever you decide, and there's plenty of choice, be sure to give it a trial run close to home so as to be familiar with it before really required.
I'd drop the idea of one person directing another, IMO that's best left to an app, with a map in front of the rider. I'd suggest the requirement for the support role would be to know precisely where the rider is and to advise what to input into the chosen app to get where they want to be.
A very easy to operate system would be what3words (Ignoring the politics) Rider would need the app, support could have it on a PC, rider tells support where they want to go (back on course, shop, train stations...) Support finds that and texts the 3 words for them to input.
I understand the reassurance that such a back up offers, the reality of needing it on a bike tour is very small.
peetee

Post by peetee »

PH wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 1:17pm I'd drop the idea of one person directing another, IMO that's best left to an app, with a map in front of the rider. I'd suggest the requirement for the support role would be to know precisely where the rider is and to advise what to input into the chosen app to get where they want to be.
I understand the reassurance that such a back up offers, the reality of needing it on a bike tour is very small.
I agree that is unlikely to be needed but the person in question is taking a bold step in attempting a multi-day tour in an unfamiliar neck of the woods. I applaud their courage. For many people this would be just another jaunt on a bike but I can’t stress enough how much of a leap of faith this is for them and I want to support them in any way I can.
My experience of digital/gps navigation devices is limited, I still prefer the detail and range that an openable paper map can provide so some interactive software that is based on OS mapping would be good but not essential as I’m fairly familiar with Wessex.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

peetee wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 9:46am ...
I agree that is unlikely to be needed but the person in question is taking a bold step in attempting a multi-day tour in an unfamiliar neck of the woods. I applaud their courage. For many people this would be just another jaunt on a bike but I can’t stress enough how much of a leap of faith this is for them and I want to support them in any way I can.
Sure.

If you could let us know what devices will be available at each end we should be able to offer several possible aids.

Jonathan
peetee

Post by peetee »

Apple and Oppo phones.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks.

Will she have the Apple or the Android 'phone?

Jonathan
peetee

Post by peetee »

Android
drossall

Post by drossall »

Giving guidance will depend on being able to communicate to her phone of course. In remote areas, may still be an issue?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 11:29amWill she have the Apple or the Android 'phone?
peetee wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 6:58pmAndroid
Thanks

And will she have another satnav device with her, and how will she be navigating when it's all going well?

Jonathan
PH

Post by PH »

peetee wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 9:46am I agree that is unlikely to be needed but the person in question is taking a bold step in attempting a multi-day tour in an unfamiliar neck of the woods. I applaud their courage.
Yes, I'd understood that and I hope you don't think I'd not respected how big a challenge someone might find such an adventure.
However, I'm still of the opinion that the actual guidance would be better provided by an app you's both become familiar with. I the same way as following a satnav in a car can be simpler than getting instructions from a passenger with a map in their lap.