Pedelecs

For discussions within the Cycle Training profession.
Barrowman

Pedelecs

Post by Barrowman »

I am a CUK trained ride leader but not done any training for a while.
Is there any instructions about electric assisted cycles on training?
Manc33

Re: Pedelecs

Post by Manc33 »

I don't know but having a motor cutoff on the brake levers is something I wouldn't want to be without.
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
Rob Archer

Post by Rob Archer »

Are we talking about the trainer, or the trainees? I'm an instructor and regularly use an e-bike for training (I'm recovering from a heart condition). While actually training or snaking (riding to the training site as a group) I either turn the motor off, or use it on '0' power.
Barrowman

Post by Barrowman »

Was thinking participants rather than instructors . (I think the weight of pedelecs in untrained hands might present an unacceptable risk to other trainees ) (I realise a motor car presents more of a risk)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Barrowman wrote: 14 Mar 2023, 8:52am I am a CUK trained ride leader but not done any training for a while.
Is there any instructions about electric assisted cycles on training?
The Ride Leader Standards Handbook:
https://www.cyclinguk.org/sites/default ... ndbook.pdf

"E-cycles are welcome on Cycling UK rides, provided they are in good working order and conform to all relevant legislation and restrictions. We have more information about electric bikes and the law."

Jonathan
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

My local group has participants on pedelecs; indeed one of the ride leaders uses one. I've not heard of any problems.
Barrowman

Post by Barrowman »

Cheers JDSK , I guessed there would be a definitive answer out there.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Barrowman wrote: 15 Mar 2023, 8:37am Was thinking participants rather than instructors . (I think the weight of pedelecs in untrained hands might present an unacceptable risk to other trainees ) (I realise a motor car presents more of a risk)
I would suggest that's over-worrying and not taking in to account the general range of weights/energies etc. that fall within "normal". if a person shows up on a light e-bike is that more of a problem than a similarly heavy person on an omafiets (i.e., heavy) bike? Would you exclude bariatric participants because of their weight presenting extra danger to other participants? (I would hope not!)

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Barrowman

Post by Barrowman »

No offence meant here, just idle curiosity as much as anything , I haven't done ant training for some time now.
I do recall when I was being trained to be a trainer I (initially) turned up on a drop bar Touring bike and was advised that a hybrid/mountain bike might be more appropriate as it mirrored what most folk turn up with.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Barrowman wrote: 18 Mar 2023, 12:40pm No offence meant here, just idle curiosity as much as anything , I haven't done ant training for some time now.
I do recall when I was being trained to be a trainer I (initially) turned up on a drop bar Touring bike and was advised that a hybrid/mountain bike might be more appropriate as it mirrored what most folk turn up with.
None taken (or meant either), but I was trying to illustrate that it's good to challenge "first thoughts" assumptions. Is weight an issue? if it is, what about cargo bikes? what about shopping? and so on. And when you look at it further it turns out that either weight isn't an issue, or you can only give lessons to non-overweight clients on unladen sports machinery... and when you see it on those terms it's pretty obvious extra weight probably isn't a deal-breaker.

As for what most folk show up on, that would mean running a BSO for some Bikeability classes... no thanks!
A bike is a bike is a bike, most of what you teach is independent of the kit. I tend to teach from a Moulton or a Brom as (a) that's what I ride and (b) I can lend them out if folk are having problems with their own bikes with just a seat-height adjustment.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...