Cycle tourist forum with no camping related selection, why?

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
Tangled Metal

Cycle tourist forum with no camping related selection, why?

Post by Tangled Metal »

If we're cycle tourists why don't we have a camping related section. Are all of us not actually cycle tourists anymore or do we only do credit card touring without any actual camping? Or do we all have no interest in talking about cycle based camping?
DevonDamo

Re: Cycle tourist forum with no camping related selection, why?

Post by DevonDamo »

The OP is currently the last person to have posted in the camping forum. Less than a day before starting this thread. viewtopic.php?p=1761175#p1761175
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

A sub-sub-forum. Jeez! That's a good idea! :roll:

So you have on the main forum page touring, HPV, electric bikes, helmet, campaigning but cycle camping gets buried a few clicks away where a regular forum user might not even know about it. Why? Surely it's a bigger part of cycle touring.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

DevonDamo wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 10:30am The OP is currently the last person to have posted in the camping forum. Less than a day before starting this thread. viewtopic.php?p=1761175#p1761175
But I got to it via new posts and unlikely to have got to it directly. Which is my point. Camping and cycle touring seems to go well together but its not obvious where camping is in this forum. Commuting gets listed in on the road section with other subsections in the on the road main forum link but camping isn't mentioned anywhere on the forum landing page.

What if I had a camping question where would I put it? Whether newbie or long term forum contributor isn't it likely you'll post in a subforum on the main page then a mod must move it?
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

Tangled Metal wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 10:49amBut I got to it via new posts and unlikely to have got to it directly. Which is my point.
Ah right. I thought your point was that there wasn't such a forum. If you think it should be more prominent, you could reply to slowster in this thread: viewtopic.php?t=153460
PH

Post by PH »

Tangled Metal wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 10:49am Whether newbie or long term forum contributor isn't it likely you'll post in a subforum on the main page then a mod must move it?
How often does that happen? I'm going to guess hardly ever or the admin would do something about it.
You've started this thread by asking "If we're cycle tourists..." then made the assumption we, whoever that we is, are. I doubt the majority of this forum's users are cycle tourists and of those it'll be a sub section that camp and of those, with the exception of a handful, it'll be a small part of their cycling. I've no objection to it being made more prominent, I'd be surprised if that made any difference tot he quantity or quality of the posts.
On the subject of boards - Wouldn't this have been better in the "Using the forum" one?
slowster

Post by slowster »

PH wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 11:59am On the subject of boards - Wouldn't this have been better in the "Using the forum" one?
Indeed. Topic moved accordingly.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

slowster wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 12:22pm
PH wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 11:59am On the subject of boards - Wouldn't this have been better in the "Using the forum" one?
Indeed. Topic moved accordingly.
Thank you.

Just out of interest, could cycle camping be added to the list of topics within touring and expedition? It is probably just me that finds such sub-forums a bit hidden when there's no indication of them on the forum list page. I must admit that I like the way subforums are listed clearly on forums like YACF and cycle chat.
sizbut

Post by sizbut »

Tangled Metal wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 10:05am If we're cycle tourists why don't we have a camping related section. Are all of us not actually cycle tourists anymore or do we only do credit card touring without any actual camping? Or do we all have no interest in talking about cycle based camping?
By that logic, then there would also be a hotel, B&B, staying with friends, sofa surfing and holiday cottage sections too.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Or do we all have no interest in talking about cycle based camping?
I may be going out on a limb here, but if people wanted to talk about it a lot, wouldn’t there be lots of postings about it, which there don’t seem to be?
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I'm perfectly happy with camping being a sub-genre of cycle touring - plus, once you know where it is, B'syu, innit...
sub genres are simply examples, not suggestions
sub genres are simply examples, not suggestions
Last edited by simonineaston on 20 Mar 2023, 9:05am, edited 1 time in total.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
horizon

Post by horizon »

I agree with the OP that cycle camping should be on a par with the other sections of the forum. It is an important aspect of cycle touring and has many issues of its own specifically related to cycling and bicycles such as load carrying and lightweight gear.

Having said that, I think it is sad that there now seems to be clear blue water between "credit card touring" and cycle camping. This is almost entirely a consequence of the loss of the YHA network. The remainder is due to the upgrading of simple bed and breakfast accommodation.

As someone once wrote, maybe cycle camping is the new YHA. There are bargains to be had but a random search will usually offer £55 in a B and B for one night and of course the YHA nowhere to be seen outside the tourist hotspots. So yes, maybe it needs a bit more prominence.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher