eBay - odd one... (Rapto, misdescribed)

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
[XAP]Bob

eBay - odd one... (Rapto, misdescribed)

Post by [XAP]Bob »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144823403505

Not sure why they're saying 9 speed, when it's clearly 27...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
UpWrong

Re: eBay - odd one... (Rapto, misdescribed)

Post by UpWrong »

That will put more weight on the front tyre, :lol: .Well spotted, I hadn't noticed the SA IGH. Makes a lot of sense really. The gear changes are much faster and quieter than using a FD.
stevet25

Post by stevet25 »

27? or 18?.......i had a chat with vendor and it is a Sram Dualdrive front hub......put me off taking it further as not sure about spares/serviceability.....nice bike
OldBloke

Post by OldBloke »

I have a DD3 DualDrive hub that I've done 15,000+ kms on without any problems, plus whatever the previous owner did. The older DD2 can sometimes be a bit more susceptible to water ingress if it's not service regularly. There are still parts lying around on Ebay and in some of the older established retailers.

If or when my DualDrive turns up its toes I will just replace it with a 10 or 11 speed wide range hub.

My 2c worth,

OB
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

stevet25 wrote: 8 Mar 2023, 10:56pm 27? or 18?.......i had a chat with vendor and it is a Sram Dualdrive front hub......put me off taking it further as not sure about spares/serviceability.....nice bike
I can't see an SRAM click box. Are you sure it's not the sturmey archer version? If so, better UK support.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

UpWrong wrote: 9 Mar 2023, 7:33amI can't see an SRAM click box.
It's there if you look closely: I'd be worried about knocking it off with my heel, but I guess you'd get used to it.
"42"
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

SRAM, not SA.
If you've had a chat with the vendor then that's likely ok.

I wouldn't worry about spares - if you want I can sell you an SA 3*9 hub as a replacement, or you can replace the front (rear) wheel with any other hub of your choosing.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

squeaker wrote: 9 Mar 2023, 10:52am
UpWrong wrote: 9 Mar 2023, 7:33amI can't see an SRAM click box.
It's there if you look closely: I'd be worried about knocking it off with my heel, but I guess you'd get used to it.
You're right. I couldn't see it at first when I looked at it on my phone. They are a bit vulnerable which is one reason for preferring the SA version. I was impressed by the operation of the CS-RK3 hub, although it needs a special ring spanner tool to get it apart if you need to service the pawls I understand.
stevet25

Post by stevet25 »

interesting comments everyone...i had dismissed it cause of the DD spares issue but it seems that the Sturmey would be a good repacement...£1100 .....overpriced or bargain?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I'd say it's pretty good.
I sold mine, with tailbox and M5 thumb brake levers, for a grand if I recall correctly - but that was several years ago. I didn't sell the schlumpf drive with it, that's currently in my velo.

There's nothing inherently hard to find or service - there are just two large rollers which deflect the chain, the rest is standard bike components (albeit you'll want larger chainrings than usual) it's just the the back wheel is at the front and the front wheel is at the back (literally, the rear wheel is a standard front hub and vice-versa).

(brake levers: http://www.m5-ligfietsen.nl/site/EN/M5_ ... ke_System/)
a.twiddler

Post by a.twiddler »

I wouldn't worry too much about theoretical issues with the hub gear. The Sachs 3 X 7 on my recumbent is of mid 90s vintage and has given no trouble. It's had quite a bit of use since I've had it. I imagine that the Dual Drive 3 X 9 must be similar, even with the clickbox. I became reconciled to the possible lack of future Sachs/Sram spares early on. Do many cyclists live near a LBS who can actually work on internal gear hubs? I suspect that if your existing one gave up, most riders would look out for a used wheel or get a new one, most likely the Sturmey Archer equivalent. Chances are that the existing gear set up would carry on working for the immediate future, as the 3 speed hub concept has been around since the early 1900s and is pretty bulletproof, as long as the water can be kept out. I note that there is some kind of guard in place to protect the clickbox which is a bit reassuring. It's likely that it hasn't had any major knocks.

I looked at the listing and it seems to me that the seller could be quite flexible on price. It depends on how long he has been trying to sell it. If he is considering all sorts of things as trade ins, it might just be worth making a silly offer to see if he is interested or will make you a counter offer. The main thing is, all other things being equal, does it fit you? Being the type of bike that it is, you could expect to have a steep learning curve learning to ride it, but that could narrow the field in your favour if he's had no other interest. On the one hand, he's entitled to ask what he thinks it's worth, but on the other, you're entitled to get the best deal you can. It's a bit of a how long is a piece of string thing, and you won't know until you try. Recumbent prices can be variable at the best of times. Just my opinion, of course.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

stevet25 wrote: 11 Mar 2023, 9:11pm interesting comments everyone...i had dismissed it cause of the DD spares issue but it seems that the Sturmey would be a good repacement...£1100 .....overpriced or bargain?
Now £995 on FB marketplace.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

The same bike?
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 10:21pm The same bike?
Looks like it. Same location, Stoke?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Potential bargain for... whoever it was upthread...

Though I'd want eyes on before parting with cash