CTC Diary

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
a.twiddler

CTC Diary

Post by a.twiddler »

I was clearing out some of my old stuff recently and came across some old CTC diaries. It occurred to me that we used to get these each year at one time when we renewed our membership. Of course, I'd been in the wilderness for many years in the interim, with life, marriage, kids, having to move for work and progressing in a career etc taking precedence over what I once regarded as real life. That used to consist of being a member of a cycling club, CTC and YHA activites, weekend club runs and so on. Thinking I was indestructible, casually doing 250 miles per week in all weathers. I didn't think of myself as a "proper" cyclist like the racing boys, subjecting themselves to all sorts of painful training regimes involving sweat and snot and suffering. To the casual observer, I probably very much was one though. God, I must have been hard then. Where did I get all that time from?

All this was pre digital and pre CUK. Does any one remember when the members diaries stopped being part of the package?
Grldtnr

Re: CTC Diary

Post by Grldtnr »

Twiddler , I also used to be like you a CTC man through thick and thin, but stopped all that when I retired hurt from the cycling scene after a motorist negligence,
Probably racked up quite a few miles, with commuting to work on the , bike using the postie bike to get out on the delivery, I was on a bike 7/ 7 ....weekends spent cycling be as well.
I was on the dark side with the recumbent even way back then 30 odd yrs ago.

But I don't remember a CTC Diary, used to get a booklet with events and the DATC Comp, but I don't remember a diary,
Not quite hung up my wheels yet, but I am not the hard wheelman I was, now the weather is warming, I am thinking one last huzzah onto the continent, on my recumbent trike, then see how things go.

But I ain't dead yet.......
A laid back, low down, layabout recumbent triker!
gaz

Post by gaz »

Member for 30+ years, I've no recollection of a diary.

Edit: I recall the handbook rjb mentions, and the time given for its demise seems about right.
Last edited by gaz on 18 Mar 2023, 10:27pm, edited 1 time in total.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
rjb

Post by rjb »

I've a vague recollection of a diary and handbook which came with the membership pack if you renewed your membership. It's a while ago and both the handbook and diary both suffered the chop, possibly in the late1980's
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
a.twiddler

Post by a.twiddler »

Last one I had was probably 1982 into 1983. A lot has changed since then.
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

Stating the obvious, CUK (formerly the CTC) is not an organisation run for the benefit of its members. It's a charity.
Chris Jeggo

Post by Chris Jeggo »

I have CTC diaries for 1975 (my first full year of membership), 1983, 1985, 1987 and 1988. In 1989 I joined a company that gave me a perfectly adequate pocket diary every year so I do not know when the CTC diary ceased publication.

The 1975 diary (published by the CTC, printed by Collins) contains:
11 pages of information that might be found in any diary;
22 pages of cycling information (legal, technical, CTC, cycling and touring organistions, cycle sport); and
10 pages for completion during the year to record personal cycling matters plus non-personal cycling events, both CTC and sport).

The 1983 and 1985 diaries are very similar to each other (published by Collins in association with the CTC) and contain 32 pages of cycling-specific information.

The 1987 and 1988 diaries are very similar to each other (published by Calendars and Diaries of Bristol Ltd) and contain far less:
1 page summarising the CTC and the BCF.
2 pages of each of: useful addresses; some cycling records; lighting and braking requirements.
A gear chart (a nomogram - not as convenient as a table for standard size wheels, but more widely applicable).